Frog Kick VS Modified Flutter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Wikipedia (WITH references!):

Flutter kick is the alternating up and down motion of the legs, either from the hips or as the more restricted movement of the modified flutter kick, and is the most frequently used finning technique. Flutter kick is easy to learn and is the technique most commonly taught to learner divers, but is often applied badly, where the fin is moved in a "pedalling motion", which reduces the effort required to move the feet, at the cost of making the effort largely ineffective for propulsion. Almost all types of fin are at least reasonably effective for flutter kick, with the exception of the monofin.
For maximum power from the flutter kick the full length of the leg from the hip is used, as kicking from the hips uses the largest muscle groups Having one stronger or leading leg tends to propel the diver in a curve, particularly if there is no visual feedback.

Flutter kick is effective for acceleration and sustained speed, particularly over moderate to long distances. It is a strong technique and can produce high thrust, so it is effective when swimming against a current. Sustained moderate to high speeds increase gas consumption due to high energy output.

Forward movement through the water has been used as a substitute for neutral buoyancy, particularly before buoyancy compensators became available, and still is used for this purpose. The flutter kick has a tendency to kick up silt from the bottom from downwash, but is good for avoiding contact with a nearby vertical surface, as when swimming along a wall.
Wikipedia: that well-known peer-reviewed source of truth.

Must get in there to edit it to include the bicycle kick variant best used by Buddha buoyancy proponents.

Wikipedia: that well-known peer-reviewed source of truth.

Must get in there to edit it to include the bicycle kick variant best used by Buddha buoyancy proponents.
Well, it is technically peer reviewed…

Anyway, you can’t say “how could ANYONE call the straight leg standard kick a flutter kick!?!?” when the internet’s most commonly checked source says just that.

Not I’m not even saying I necessarily agree or disagree, just that it’s clearly, often referred to as the standard flutter kick.

... and yet when I do a helicopter turn ... I am not using any frog kick, but I still manage to turn around in one spot, in either direction. And not swimming in a circle.

Amazing how one can just rotate one's feet and not kick anything, innit.

Amazing how one can just rotate one's feet and not kick anything, innit.
Especially in a silted up wreck. Gosh, can even turn around and go backwards.

Or get on your bike and flutter off in a cloud of silt...

Not sure why you keep conflating a flutter kick with a bicycle kick. The former works quite well, especially if modified for the conditions; the latter is poor training and an inept kick.

Not sure why you keep conflating a flutter kick with a bicycle kick. The former works quite well, especially if modified for the conditions; the latter is poor training and an inept kick.
It's conflating flutter and scissor that's the issue.

So why are you saying what you said about bike and flutter?

I agree, flutter and scissor are NOT the same, even though our DIR friends think otherwise.

Scissor kick described in various sources, including dictionaries:

Flutter kick described in various sources, including dictionaries:

Both in comparison:
8 Underwater Finning & Kicking Techniques - AquaViews (This is a diving source)

Scissor kick described in various sources, including dictionaries:

Flutter kick described in various sources, including dictionaries:

Both in comparison:
8 Underwater Finning & Kicking Techniques - AquaViews (This is a diving source)
LOL. Nice try. But GUE has not endorsed any of those, so they are irrelevant. :wink:

Why not just stay further up from the bottom and avoid kicking up the silt?

Back
Top Bottom