Freshwater, Saltwater, Depth gagues/computers and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
First off, Ive been working all night (its 8am here in Norway at the moment) so my brains could be playing tricks on me at the moment.

However;
I was just thinking about how were randomly reminded that freshwater and saltwater has a different density, thus apply a different pressure on us while diving. So in a strike of hazy "philosophical mood" I came to think "Does it really matter at all with regards to diving?"
The reason why the thought struck me was that given all other things being equal, if your computer is set to saltwater (or not have the ability to switch) it will show a minor (2,5%?) error in the readings if diving in freshwater as its calibrated for saltwater at 0 feet above sea level, but does this actually affect you in any way while diving?

Your air consumption will increase with pressure and your partial pressures of the gas your breathing will also increase which gives you the whole decompression and narc/tox issues.
However dive computers works by measuring the ambient pressure and the ambient pressure is what trigger all the things we have to observe as divers.
This seems in my tired haze to mean that if your computer shows 100 ft the pressure should be that of 100 ft of saltwater wether its actually 100ft of saltwater or 102,5 (assuming my 2,5% is correct) freshwater you have above you.
As the computer think Im in 100ft of water it will obviously calculate from that and my air consumption should be as if Im in 100ft of saltwater.

Given the above, I should also be able to completely ignore the fact that Im actually slightly deeper if Im in freshwater or is there anything my tired brain is completely missing here?

As far as CESA goes however youd have a couple of feet extra to swim to the surface of course, but thats kinda beyond the scope here as its the physiological and air consumption effects Im thinking about here.

Guess Ill just ignore anyone who tell me Ill die if I dont account for the lower density of freshwater then :p

Guess Ill just ignore anyone who tell me Ill die if I dont account for the lower density of freshwater then :p

I imagine they added that tidbit (which is bogus IMO) in discussing dive tables, which do not know your actual pressure depth.

Salt vs Fresh affects your weight requirements and whether or not you have to rinse your gear :wink:

Salt vs Fresh affects your weight requirements and whether or not you have to rinse your gear :wink:

4-lbs heavier for me in saltwater.

I rinse my gear regardless of which water I dived in. Freshwater can still stink up gear.

If you use a computer for depth and cut tables it could affect you. If I cut tables for a 200' dive on V-planner in fresh water and then use a depth gauge calibrated to salt water I will be deeper than 200' when the gauge says I am at 200'. This is the case with my Versa pro computers I use so I just set V-planner to salt water and I am all set.

If you use a computer for depth and cut tables it could affect you. If I cut tables for a 200' dive on V-planner in fresh water and then use a depth gauge calibrated to salt water I will be deeper than 200' when the gauge says I am at 200'. This is the case with my Versa pro computers I use so I just set V-planner to salt water and I am all set.

Yes, because of the increased density of saltwater. However for gas loadings that shouldnt matter, it should only matter for your allready ruled out CESA.

With regards to rinsing gear after diving in freshwater.. Itll depend what freshwater Im in. Some is as clean as my tapwater and some is not. Infact, some IS my tapwater :D

Yes, because of the increased density of saltwater. However for gas loadings that shouldnt matter, it should only matter for your allready ruled out CESA.
He is correct it would meter. The computer and yhe gauge should be both set to the same mode. Either salt or fresh. Otherwise the tables would be incorrect. The bad case is as described when the programm is set to fresh and the gauge is set to salt then you would be diving using 200 ft frash water tables while in fact you have to use 210 ft tables

Ahh yeah of course. Using the computer and an extra gague in different modes will of course be an issue. Should also be plainly visible and ring a bell if you have two units showing different depth tho :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom