AI Computers and Deco Algorithm Calculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Obviously dive computers don't need air integration to calculate things like NDL bottom times and other metrics. My question is, if the computer is air integrated, does the algorithm calculate metrics based on the actual gas consumption rate for increased accuracy? Or is that a feature of specific computers? I know people can adjust conservatism in their computer, but it seems like it would be a nice feature if the computer could account for things like work load based on actual gas consumption rates.

Obviously dive computers don't need air integration to calculate things like NDL bottom times and other metrics. My question is, if the computer is air integrated, does the algorithm calculate metrics based on the actual gas consumption rate for increased accuracy? Or is that a feature of specific computers? I know people can adjust conservatism in their computer, but it seems like it would be a nice feature if the computer could account for things like work load based on actual gas consumption rates.

Scubapro computers already have this "optional" feature. There are some questions about how Scubapro actually implements it and how much it affects the algorithm calculations but it's there if want to use it.

Reactions: L13
I’m not sure anyone knows how much adjustment to make to the NDL, based on breathing rate. There’s just not enough data and it would probably not make a significant difference anyway.

My breathing rate can vary from 0.7 cuft/min to 0.5 cuft/min due to mental stress alone (e.g., first day of a trip vs last day). Good luck translating a 40% increase in consumption to a reasonable NDL adjustment.

The only way gas consumption is a factor in decompression algorithms is if a sudden increase indicates hard work and greater perfusion (blood flow). Air consumption alone is not a factor. I assume you know that already, but for the benefit of others reading this, there is a common belief that people who breathe more air during the dive because they have higher SAC rates are on-gassing more nitrogen during the dive, but that is not true.

... Air consumption alone is not a factor.
Sensor technology is really getting impressive as of late. Hopefully one day we can dive with an external chest pad (or even a whole wetsuit) that can 'watch micro bubbles' similar to ultrasound. Then the power of artificial intelligence packed into a dive computer will provide bubble grading and give a simple read out to the diver on variable deco times. But ohh so many hurdles to jump over yet !!

Sensor technology is really getting impressive as of late. Hopefully one day we can dive with an external chest pad (or even a whole wetsuit) that can 'watch micro bubbles' similar to ultrasound. Then the power of artificial intelligence packed into a dive computer will provide bubble grading and give a simple read out to the diver on variable deco times. But ohh so many hurdles to jump over yet !!
A former neighbor of mine was an engineer, and he asked about how the dive industry would look upon something like the pulse oximeter device that you put on your finger to detect O2 levels. He said it would not be hard to make something like that for nitrogen, and he was trying to assess the potential market. That was maybe 20 years ago.

Yeah, but the first models might be in the form of a suppository....

Yeah, but the first models might be in the form of a suppository....
Suppositories or rectal probes with Bluetooth? I believe that they already have something like this but not for diving.

Computers by Scubapro run the Bulhmann adaptive algorithm.
The adaptation can be based on 3 factors affecting human methabolism:
- Water temperature
- SAC rate
- Heart rate
The temperature sensor is already inside the computer.
For SAC rate and Heart rate you must purchase additional sensors.
Most divers do not employ these automatic adaptation features, they prefer to manually set additional conservatorism using G-factors or other settings of their computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom