Question How does pressure increase with depth in water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry but this discussion reminds me of when my daughter and her college roommates wanted me to make them a two-story high beer bong to use from the second floor of their house. Not enough volume of beer in the thing to maintain the pressure - but that initial 7psi blast would be a real eye (or whatever) opener.

So if anybody wants to experiment . . . .

This is one of those things that was hard the first time I learned it, but now is so intuitively obvious to me that it is hard to explain it to someone that doesn't get it. I don't envy the teachers that have to explain it to someone for the first time.

W
Sorry but this discussion reminds me of when my daughter and her college roommates wanted me to make them a two-story high beer bong to use from the second floor of their house. Not enough volume of beer in the thing to maintain the pressure - but that initial 7psi blast would be a real eye (or whatever) opener.

So if anybody wants to experiment . . . .
We build and used one. With a "reservoair" at the top. Poor initial tester had a crate of beer in a minute - no wonder nobody else tried the thing after🙈

I should have read this more carefully the first time through. My basic error was thinking pressure was a direct measure of force, instead of force over area.

I apologize to those who feel I've wasted their time. As you probably guessed, my physics is self-taught. I know the basics and can obviously look up specific terms, but for questions like this I need to work up from those basics by trying to visualize what is going on. I think it's a fun exercise, but it's not always successful :)
I learned a lot of physics and physiology as a kid by studying diving. Diving provides a real-world example of some of these physics concepts that even a kid like me could understand. I read Cousteau’s The Silent World three times as a kid, 3 years before any really, formal training in diving (LA County in 1963). But diving was my gateway to science, and I’m very happy someone else is also learning through diving.

SeaRat

I learned a lot of physics and physiology as a kid by studying diving. Diving provides a real-world example of some of these physics concepts that even a kid like me could understand. I read Cousteau’s The Silent World three times as a kid, 3 years before any really, formal training in diving (LA County in 1963). But diving was my gateway to science, and I’m very happy someone else is also learning through diving.

SeaRat
or,, building beer bongs? :)

Back
Top Bottom