Freedom Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of the first ones, made out of aluminum. It's great.
I have a stainless version which was owned and dived by Eric. It was the last one he had several years ago. Fortunately for me he decided to sell it.

I had no idea he made Aluminum versions. What is the thickness of the material?

Can anyone who dives one speak to its buyoency characteristics? I assume it's not as negative as a full on SS backplate. I'm wondering how much extra weight I would need when diving a FP, Alu80, and a 3 mm wetsuit.

I believe it's slightly over four pounds. I didn't change anything when I switched from a Halcyon plate.

Question for you...

I'm about purchase a freedom plate and just wondering how to configure it to the oxycheq mach V. Is the wing sandwiched in between the plate and the rail/sta? Or is the wing just placed over top of the rail? I've seemed to read about people to doing both. What do you do?

There's been many different variants to the design, specially to the tank rail/support. There's also been a few aluminium plates, and different finishes for the SS ones. I've had 2 different models, sold one and kept the version with a "U" shaped tank rail bolted to the SS plate. I sandwich the wing between the plate and rail. Setup with the tank is very fast as nothing moves, and the rails stabilize the tank more than if the wing was in between.

IMHO, it's the most comfortable backmount single tank BCD. For travel it's a bit heavy, as it is stainless, but still reasonable. With a 3mm wetsuit I dive it without any extra weights in salt water.

I only dive sidemount now, and my gf will dive my small custom made aluminium BP for traveling, so I don't use it anymore. Still, it's so nice I might have a hard time to sell it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom