Freedom of speech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Whilst respecting the terms of this forum, I find it amazing that 'flames' can be considered more offensive than the original highly offensive premise. The case I am speaking of is the knife in the water OOA thread. My, certainly offensive, posts have been removed. And my privilege to post on the thread removed also.

Why is my outrage/indignation considered more offensive than the original premise of the OP - that if an OOA diver grabs his primary that he is within his right to respond by using a knife on that person. This seems perverse to me.

Is it because I said the word 'penis'? And if so, how can that be worse than suggesting knifing a person underwater?

Just curious. I've never 'flamed' anyone before but I found that attitude deserved of bile. And I'm not even allowed to post on that thread anymore. So the guy that's happy to murder someone in an OOA situation can post, but peers who pour scorn on that attitude are neutered and can't? I don't see the rationale?

You guys are from the nation of free speech - I struggle to see what was more offensive in my posts that what was in the OPs. Is moral outrage banned these days?

Puzzled,
Brighton.

Oh and Rick - please don't ban me from EVERYTHING!!!! Please! (although my wife would thank you).

Not all here are from 'the nation of free speech'......Some admins here have the sense of humor of a dead mule....oops...did I say that----lol---sorry(& one will be the one deleting this response).......But remember, that's only my opinion.........

They're too afraid we might hurt someone's feelings when they realize they might be wrong. :shocked2:

And my privilege to post on the thread removed also.

Your privilege to post in the thread went in the same bag as the rest of us. The thread is closed to all.

I know we don't see things from the same angle, but I came this afternoon ready to reply to some of the comments directed to me and had to keep my answers to myself. I won't lose sleep over it though.

meh...

A) Freedom of Speech doesn't apply in private situations, rather, it's a restriction on government.
B) Even if it did, there is much precedent for censorship, even in the nation of which you spoke.

We live in a Ritalin nation where everyone's feelings have to be protected and it's all about me.....there is no such thing as "freedom"; Try to jump on the roof of your house, or try to use the n-word? Get over it....oh, but you are from the UK, maybe our sensitivity issues is blower over the pond :)

PS. I go out of my way to upset at least one person per day to keep the balance :)

The mistake is in getting involved with some anonymous person who makes outre' statements regarding the use of a knife to ward off an out of air diver.
Rather than allowing bile to build, think of the humor here: some guy actually sat there and thought the scenario through:" hmm, if some out of air forlorn schmuck who ran out of air because he is a schmuck panics and tries to take my primary what should I do?"..."hmmmmm, think, think, think, (light bulb moment) I know, I will try to stab him/her!"
Then this person posts this stroke of brilliance on the internet!
You cannot buy humor like this...

I didn't get to see any of the removed posts. But I will say, that even yesterday the thread had gone beyond disagreeing with the OP, and was to the point of piling on.

After about 50 posts disagreeing with the OP, replete with reasons, people ran out of original things to say, and started bashing. I didn't see any constructive purpose to many of the comments.

While I personally STRONGLY disagree with the idea of refusing to donate air to an OOA diver in most situations, I think that the OP showed considerable restraint in his responses, at least in the parts of the thread that I have read.

JClynes: I think the moderators, on the whole, do a good job of allowing threads to continue as long as the "flamming" does not get out of control. When the conversation shifts from arguing about "ideas" to personal attacks, it is time to end the thread. This is pretty standard for moderated forums, and although it will result in threads that may have really good information being closed, deleted, etc., I can't see a practical way around it.

On "Freedom of Speech": The "owner" of the forum gets to make that call. It is not the same as standing on a street corner and ranting about the government or protesting for a cause... and even in the "real world" there are some limits to "Free Speach".

Having said all that, I do agree with you regarding the thread you are talking about :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom