Freedom of speech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The moderation on this forum is getting progressively more draconian and has reached a point in some areas where debate is not possible at all without "fear of offending someone" which is a pity.

Really, if people get upset about things they read on an internet forum or demand people are nice and cuddly to them they aren't ever going to survive in the real world.

Forum rules should not prevent someone from being questioned and ridiculed if they come out with something completely retarded.

When it comes down to it, anyone is pretty much allowed to voice any opinion, no matter how much on the fringe it is, so long as they do it politely and impersonally. Other posters are quite able to come behind and refute the OP's opinions, so long as they do it politely and impersonally. Moderation comes into play when the game gets personal, insulting, or profane. Attack the ideas, and not the poster, and you will almost never get moderated.

That thread truly ran its course. Threads are rarely closed, because the segues can be the most interesting part of the thread, but some simply degenerate to the point where they shouldn't continue.

....blah, blah, blah
Really, if people get upset about things they read on an internet forum or demand people are nice and cuddly to them they aren't ever going to survive in the real world.

It's a common character trait of generation me....:)

The thread sort of danced on the edge of being attacks on the person, to people sort of banding together to argue the point of helping people. If you look at it from the outside, there was as much good as bad.. up to a point. I think when people start calling others names, the thread is no longer of value. It was a terrible thread to try and seperate the good from the bad... sadly, because there was a lot of good in it.

When it comes down to it, anyone is pretty much allowed to voice any opinion, no matter how much on the fringe it is, so long as they do it politely and impersonally. Other posters are quite able to come behind and refute the OP's opinions, so long as they do it politely and impersonally. Moderation comes into play when the game gets personal, insulting, or profane. Attack the ideas, and not the poster, and you will almost never get moderated.

That thread truly ran its course. Threads are rarely closed, because the segues can be the most interesting part of the thread, but some simply degenerate to the point where they shouldn't continue.

Thanks for posting the above..

Maybe the mods were afraid one of y'all would run outta air and get knifed ... :shocked2:

Shouldn't this be in the Whine and Cheeze forum?

(Personally I think that bit about the knife was a troll anyway ...)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The thread sort of danced on the edge of being attacks on the person, to people sort of banding together to argue the point of helping people. If you look at it from the outside, there was as much good as bad.. up to a point. I think when people start calling others names, the thread is no longer of value. It was a terrible thread to try and seperate the good from the bad... sadly, because there was a lot of good in it.

"Danced on the edge"? That thread ran over the shrubbery and crashed through the front door. I watched that thread from the "outside" and it was a train wreck. Early on, I believe before the 50th post, the name calling began.

I always miss the good stuff....:(

"Danced on the edge"? That thread ran over the shrubbery and crashed through the front door. I watched that thread from the "outside" and it was a train wreck. Early on, I believe before the 50th post, the name calling began.

But those are the best ones to read, everyone knows how fascinating it is to watch a train wreck; sadly I missed most of it....

You could look at this as a form of censorship, and feel that your posts being removed is kind of singling you out while protecting the appearance of lunacy.

Or you cup can be half full and consider this a Public Service Announcement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom