Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just noticed that Fourth Element Ellipse dryglove system is now available for purchase and fine retail outlets around the globe.

I have one question though: Why the design decision to have an exposed sealing o-ring on the suit side ring?

I get that they include a tool to pick that o-ring out of the groove and the instructions state to replace the o-ring with the included silicone band if not using gloves. Really? who wants to do that? If the sealing o-ring was on the glove side ring it would not be an issue when not using dry gloves...vis a vis the Waterproof Ultima DGS.

I would wager it was more of design patent concern than a functional design consideration.. The exposed o-ring just seems like a bad idea.

Any thoughts on this? And has anyone purchased the Ellipse system yet and care to review?

-Z

I was really interested in the Ellipse, but having to remove the O ring, etc. had totally turned me off.

I was really interested in the Ellipse, but having to remove the O ring, etc. had totally turned me off.

Same here....one can dive without removing the o-ring but it risks damage/contamination that could affect its ability to seal when needed/wanted.

I have also found the silicone bands that came with the Ultima DGS do not stand up well to repeated removal/replacement....but those are largely cosmetic. The bands that come with the 4th Element Ellipse system are more to protect the groove once the o-ring is removed....what happens when those bands tear...how much will they cost to replace and what will their availability be?

The bands for the Ultima DGS are a bit cost prohibitive to replace...I have resorted to colorizing my glove rings by putting a couple of protective wraps of colored electrical tape pulled tightly around the silicone bands after they are installed to protect them...works great but this is cosmetic and the tape has zero impact on the function of the system as it would if done to the bands on the 4th Element system.

SMH about the design choice.

I know this product was developed in conjunction with Si-Tech. It seems like Si-tech has a tendency to produce some real winners followed by some real losers for products:
Winner: Quick cuff system
Loser: Quick glove system - users complained that it leaked and would pop apart unexpectedly
Winner: QCS oval system
Loser: Antares - leaks
Loser: Virgo - the system is ridiculously bulky and it seems like si-tech was trying to save money by utilizing a surplus of parts from their Glove Lock system. The idea is sound but the execution is sloppy.

-Z

I purchased the Fourth Element Ellipse dry glove system in October and after 25 dives have replaced it with Waterproof Ultima. While the Ellipse worked fine once thy were on they were a devil to get on. I couldn't do it by myself and it was quite a production doing it with a buddy. The problem was that the soft O-ring would squeeze our as you tried to seal the glove. We found that it took three hands and a bolt snap to push the O-ring back in place. The Ultima on the other hand snaps into place in seconds and seals great. It is essentially a re-working of the old Diving Concepts design.

I purchased the Fourth Element Ellipse dry glove system in October and after 25 dives have replaced it with Waterproof Ultima. While the Ellipse worked fine once thy were on they were a devil to get on. I couldn't do it by myself and it was quite a production doing it with a buddy. The problem was that the soft O-ring would squeeze our as you tried to seal the glove. We found that it took three hands and a bolt snap to push the O-ring back in place. The Ultima on the other hand snaps into place in seconds and seals great. It is essentially a re-working of the old Diving Concepts design.
I tried these too but was not impressed, I had hoped they would be an improved antaries oval but these are as big as the Virgo which I was using
2A7AB410-2CC6-46D8-AE40-620F2724FF3D.jpeg
56011C7D-CD1E-46D3-89F0-DDD74876F521.jpeg

they are for the most part more bulky than the Virgo and much harder to use, as was pointed out in the above post. I have returned to the antaries for my self and having added indexing to make sure they are aligned right to fully lock they have been perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom