Four Hours to Kill In Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello all...

We are heading off to Little Cayman next Sunday, but due to a lousy connection, we have about four hours to kill in Grand Cayman. (Ya I know.. it could be Buffalo...)

I haven't been to Grand Cayman for about 25 years, so I've kind of forgotten the lay of the land, but I'm wondering where we might get a little snorkelling in... with a reasonable cab ride from the airport. At one point I wondered about Stingray City, but it isn't at all where I thought it was!

Any suggestions for the best shore-based snorkelling?

Thanks folks!

Stoo:
Is Stingray City accessible from shore? (We'll only have masks and snorkels, so I do't want to swim too far! For some reason, I think I heard it's just in front of Sunset House, but I have no idea why I think that!
No, Stingray City is on the other side of the island from Sunset House. Too far to even do a SRC snorkel trip in 4 hrs most likely, they run about 1/2 day.

You can snorkel at Sunset House though. It's probably 10min from the airport max. Lunch at My Bar there and back to the airport. They have showers and changing facilities (big bathroom) in the building behind the bar.

Or you could snorkel at Eden Rock, it's in town, maybe has slightly shallower reef structures than what you'll find at Sunset House. But imo it's not as good. Rental fins are $5.00 (broke a strap there so I know) and as I recall they had lockers if you need to stow your carry-ons - I don't remember seeing them at the airport - it's small.

Eden Rock was not very exciting when I was there. I would go to Sunset House, which had been recommended to me, instead of "the Rock".

Cagemaker

Yep, they (Cayman gov't) do this on purpose so that you can spend dollars on GC. I too have a layover from GC to the Brac, it was - arrive on GC at 4:05 then 5:20 to the Brac......they changed it to 9:00 pm to the Brac....a 5HR layover! This means that I have to rent a car or hang out at the airport for 5 hrs......this is why there are alot of people that don't travel to the Brac or LC..which is good in a way, but not for me if I want to get to LC or the Brac at a decent time. I'm totally cranked at Cayman Air!

Thanks for the info folks. In our case, it was Air Canada that changed. Initially,we figured we couldn't make the connection at all coming back, then Cayman Air "adjusted" their schedule to make that a little easier...

Looks like a flop around Sunset House is the thing to do...

Thanks again!

Alternatives to snorkeling could be a visit to the turtle farm and/or botanic garden.

knotical:
Alternatives to snorkeling could be a visit to the turtle farm and/or botanic garden.
Good options... I did the "Free the Turtle" thing many years ago. I suspect though that we'll be in beach mode though.... It's been about 4 months since we've seen the sun! :14:

We did the Botanical Garden but our layover was longer than 4 hours.

You may not be able to check your bags through right away if you are changing airlines

rjchandler:
We did the Botanical Garden but our layover was longer than 4 hours.

You may not be able to check your bags through right away if you are changing airlines
Thanks RC. The whole bag-check thing will be the defining factor. I don't fancy hauling 6000 lbs. of gear too far. I'm reaching the age where my back is weaker than my mind... I think!

Considering the windchill is -35C here today, even GC airport sounds appealling!

Back
Top Bottom