Fossiling the Peace or Suwannee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for responding FL River Diver,

I have also posted in the Fossil Forum and have received the names of two Peace river guides. (Fred and Mark) I found the "Canoe Outpost" online and see them as someone to rent canoes from. I am hearing the summer rains cause the Peace river to swell and best time to fossil the Peace is March through May when the river is low. From what I am hearing the Peace is primarily a wade in the edge type hunt using a shovel, screen, and bathyscope.

I do not have any information on the Suwannee as to where to put in, what type of boat, scuba or no scuba, name of a guide, snorkle or no snorkle, etc.

Here are photos of some our finds here this season.

click-able

Mr. Taylor,

I am on a break right now, so response time is to your post is limited. As for the Peace River, as I said I have only dove it a few times, which is ironic, as my mother's family history in the Arcadia (Pine Level) area dates back in excess of 200years--which means, over the years, I have spent a lot of time in the area. However, with 10 aunts and uncles, most trips have been too family oriented for me to get away for any length of time.

Your synopsis of the river above pretty much sums it up. River condition (primarily) determines whether you use scuba, snorkel or just wade and dig. If you plan a trip to the Peace, the guides you have been made aware of should be able to advise you on conditions you could expect--which will dictate what equipment will be appropriate for the water level.
I have never been there when the visibility was more than minimal--but based on your posts and SC rivers experience that should pose no problem.

I have dove the Suwannee hundreds of times, mostly between the Branford area and Fowler Bluff. These days, due to a drawn out retirement move, I haven't been in the Suwannee since late last year. Back when making frequent dives, I would dive when I could, anytime during the year (depending on river level). But I concentrated my dives to the winter months until the late winter/spring rains caused flooding. I preferred the winter for several reasons. During the winter, generally the drier season, the river is lower, as little water from the Okeefenokee feeds it. This means, especially in the lower river, most of its' volume is from the many springs (and the Santa Fe River). As a result, the water is as clear as can ever be expected, and the spring water moderates the temperature--I have dove it quite a few times in a 3 mm suit. Another plus is, with the exception of a few "old timers" fishing, the jet ski morons grace us with their absence, and the people with badges are generally in a coffee shop in Chiefland instead of being on the river.

One last point you mentioned, before I have to get back to work (my retirement is still pending to as late as the end of the year). What type boat to use---any boat that is good for diving, assuming you aren't using a 30 footer--which would probably draw too much water for many areas of the river, especially in the upper reaches, but in the lower part a bigger boat would probably be ok unless the river is really low. I believe the house boat rentals available at the mouth of the river limit the up river travel to Branford. I and my fellow divers boats, over the years, have ranged from 12foot Jon-boats, to 18 or 19 footers of several different styles.

I prefer a 15 or 16 foot mostly open type boat. Our usual "suiting-up" procedure is to beach our boat along the shore, put on our gear and take the boat off from shore and anchor it in line with the area we will be diving from shore. We then work up river (or closer to the Gulf--up current). When done we just drift back to the boat and push it back to shore to shed our gear.

Though there may be a guide(s) that work the Suwannee, I have never heard of any, and since I never avail myself to guides anywhere I dive, I would be one of the last to know of any. As for where to put in---the short answer is wherever you find a boat ramp!! The Suwannee is "blessed" with many ramps. The best place for location is a Florida Gazateer, which in addition to showing more ramps than a regular FL map, it shows roads in much more detail. Which is useful as some of the ramps are in remote areas---just try and find the ramp at the old Wannee steamboat landing without some help!!

As for fossiling the Peace river, I think I have found my guide. I will commit to him tomorrow. When is the last time you dove the Suwanee? Years ago or are you currently diving? Are the edges of the Suwanee worth working in the winter with a boat, waders, sifter, and bathyscope? Thank you very much for the excellent references on the Suwanee river. Boat ramp locations are critical and like you said, sometimes hard to find. I found one here this season using my GPS (the roads were screwy) and a little wandering. The funny thing was when I FINALLY found it, it was located on a dirt road called "Stomp Knocker" road. I was born and raised in the deep south and the name of that road puts a smile on a southern mans face. It almost made me laugh out loud.

One more question on the Suwanee river. The river currents here can sometimes be too fast. Most of the time they are tolerable. What are the currents like the Suwanee? Is the Suwanee tanic? The viz here runs 2 to 5 feet. Sometimes, but very seldom, it is zero, and I bail out. I like to be able to see the bottom (with lighting) when laying on my stomach. What about critters? We have gators but we somewhat know their habits. Speed boats are our primary danger to divers.

I would probably use a powered jon boat, anchor, dive flag, LOT of weights, and redundant lighting. I would check the anchor and make sure it is dug in. I would the work my way upstream, away from the edge, and into gravel beds. I tend to stay away from the edge because of the gators.

Here is what we have zooming over our heads when diving the Cooper river.

I've gone on two trips with Fred Mazza. He clearly knows the river and knows where to dig. I don't think diving would be worthwhile. I've brought a mask and snorkel on both trips but didn't find much. The most success seems to come from shoveling into pockets of dense grey clay and large gravel that usually lies under at least a few inches of mud. It is only about 1.5 hours from Venice so it is easy to combine diving and sifting trips.

Thanks Brian. I signed on with Fred this morning. Looking forward to it. I found this photo for inspiration.

Woman finds Meg snorkeling around Wachula boat ramp / Peace river Florida
post-1112-021839400%201282208440_thumb.jpg

Hopefully my diving/fossiling days will not be over for a long time yet. But I must admit diving, as well as my other avocations, have been, with a few exceptions, put on hold the past year or so. The retirement move mentioned above involves moving an almost 35 year accumulation of "stuff"---that's just my stuff---does not include household stuff.

My new home is in Keystone Heights, FL (which is around an hour from most of my favorite Suwannee diving sites as opposed to two + hours from Jacksonville. In addition to having to move all my stuff, I also needed a place to move it to. As a result, a year ago (we bought the new place 3 years ago in anticipation of this move) I had a 1200 square foot building built. It was a basic building leaving me since then all the plumbing, wiring and finishing. Most of it is a workshop, but a quarter of it I have finished off as my "Man Cave". I still need to add shelving to the cave, then I can unpack my best items from 45 + years of diving and collecting and set up my mini-museum.

The reason we are moving to Keystone is my daughter, who has blessed us with 3 grandsons, lives there. They like to camp and will be doing so at Yellowjacket campground for several days next month. It is located along the lower Suwannee (west shore) several south miles south of Manatee Springs State Park. My bride and I plan to join them as they have rental cabins available. I mention this as with me also will be my boat---and dive gear!! We stayed there last year and I met one of the employees who used to dive the river years ago---he told me of some of his dive sites that whetted my collecting appetite big time.

You asked several questions in your post (#6) above that I will respond to now.

Current: I have dove the Cooper and Ashapoo rivers a number of times back in the late 80's. My long time dive buddies have a friend in Mt. Pleasant that we used to stay (and dive) with. We generally put in at Strawberry Landing and ventured out from there. Our most productive trip was a couple of dives off Mepkin Abbey. Anyway, the point being, diving conditions (as a generality) are quite similar to the Suwannee. With the (obvious) exception of flood times the two rivers have like currents.

Visibility: On most of our dives in the Cooper the vis was 6' +/-, which is a good average for the Suwannee. However, as I mentioned above, in the winter--or especially dry times in the Okeefenokee, the lower Suwannee can have excellent visibility as it's mostly spring water.

Critters: Alligators---occasionally encountered during the summer, but have never been a problem for any of us. Winter diving negates any chance of seeing one. Snakes: Being an avocational herpetologist I consider seeing one a plus, but if you have an adversion to them---no problem, as you rarely encounter one, and if you do invaribly it is a harmless species of water snake---I have never come up on a cottonmouth---in the water or on shore. Again winter diving removes any chance of an encounter. Other critters: Manatees. Somewhat common at times in the lower Suwannee, and frequent most of the river springs in the winter. Sturgeon---common in the very lower river areas and not a problem in the water, but during slack tides they love to jump. There have been a number of incidents where a boater has been hit as one jumped at the right time.

Gotta go now, if you have any additional questions, let me know.

FLRiverDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom