Fossil or Sharktooth dive Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$65 (FWSS). There is a reef out just past the beds at alhambra. Sort of. It's in 18-20'. If you're looking for teeth, head w. The bed will turn into a sandy bottom. 50-60 kicks later, you'll hit the reef. It's mainly sponges and gargonians. I've found a few teeth out there (including 1/2 of a 4" meg), but not many. I'm thinking the boneyard is in about 23-25' of water.

There's also a reef at Sandspur beach in Boca Grande. It's a comfortable shore dive, but everytime I've been there, the vis sucks. The conditions are very similar to Venice beach (as it's only a few miles further south), but with more of a current (it's close to Boca Grande Pass).

Does anyone have any Gps numbers? I can get a boat to take off the beach if someones willling to go along and show us what were doing. I'm new to this type of dieing. Thanks alot 561-261-6099 if anybody's game

I'm going to come over on Saturday. Does anyone know where I may be able to launch a small boat out of. Also what about land marks or numbers so We'll be diving the right areas, also any tools needed for this type of operation? Anybody with experience want to join us?

I'd love to join you, but am tied up for the weekend. The place you're looking for is just south of the Venice inlet, maybe 1 mile. There are several tall condos, with two large (3' diameter), white drainage pipes at the north end, and another set of pipes to the south of the condos.

The place we commonly look for teeth is straight out from the north set of drainage pipes in 15' water (approx 100-150 yards from shore). The boneyard is directly out from the southern set of pipes. Guessing 1/2 mile, and I'm thinking 23-25' deep.

I know theres a public ramp somewhere around the bridge downtown, but not where.

You will need a sock or a small mesh (fine mesh) bag to hold the shark teeth you find. If you are doing this for the first time, try a beach dive rather than boat because if the vis is bad you will at least get a feel for it without having to drag a boat in. You go straight out from the drainage pipes, look to your left and try to map out a course so you end up with the end of the pier. I had a little more luck a little south (the end of the pier on my left and between the two condos straight ahead of me on the beach. There are other divers that like to go about the same distance from the north of the pipes. I live in WPB also and you can give me a yell (689-3635 or tammyn7604@aol.com)if you want to ask anything. I have been but I am not an expert by any means, the expert would be Walter.

Well we went. I got several small teeth, a couple of big half teeth, my friend got a nice complete 2 3/4 lower Megladon tooth. Overall it was a good trip, I don't think we ever made it to the best areas, we wanted to get to the boneyard but were never sure where we were, but we had fun, the small boat worked out great.

Outstanding! I'm glad you had fun. Hopefully, next time we can catch up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom