Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your efforts are of course quite laudable. I was thinking more along the lines of a publicized effort by the FWC to recruit and train volunteers. It doesn't seem like a terribly difficult program to accomplish...:idk:

I have (and I know Debby has also) told many many people of our volunteer efforts and its rewards. I get a lot of "that's so cool," "You're awesome for doing that," "the turtle's thank you," "I wish I could see a hatch out"... and when you offer the website to sign up. They smile and walk away.

You and your daughter ROCKED last night, Jenny. I shudder to think of what would have been the fate of those babies had you two not been there. People, there were turtles EVERYWHERE and I mean EVERYWHERE (except heading for the water). They were scrambling to Meade Street toward Surf Road and they were scrambling north toward a house with bright lights several blocks south of the nest. I found one crawling at a rapid pace nearly FOUR BLOCKS north of the nest. SIXTY THREE TURTLES were recovered and sadly enough, we're certain we missed a few. :depressed:

Hey Jenny, :thumb: for running four blocks in the sand to bring me the bucket! Did ya catch your breath yet? :rofl3: I'd have had a heart attack for sure.

Thanks Debby. I only wish I was in better shape. I was blowin' like a freight train. :rofl3:
Yes, they were everywhere! There was another guy there who was spotting them for us as we scrambled with "I got one, two, no THREE here.. bring the bucket." Then somebody else would yell out they had a bunch over there, and more that way... it was chaotic. I am so glad and humbled and grateful to be a part of and witness this miracle of life. Just wish we could have sat there and witness their trek to the ocean instead of be in rescue mode.

I am sure many, many folks would volunteer for such a project should it be known...

I would think there is some sort of turtle rescue in your part of the beach...

I suspect there is with the facility in Juno Beach. Turtle nests markings are all over the place in the summer. Back to my earlier post, I still contend that an official program by the FWC using volunteers is a very doable program IMO. It may take a few government bureaucrats getting off their back-side periodically but stranger things have happened...

I'm all for less government. Let the people do it. If the gov't were doing it's job in the first place-enforcing the legislation that is already passed protecting these turtles, we wouldn't need to be volunteering to protect them.

62882_1585767613554_1516705374_1515928_2540682_n.jpg

Why is there not a large scale organized effort to accomplish just what you two did last night? What state agency has primary jurisdiction in this area?

I am sure many, many folks would volunteer for such a project should it be known...

Did you not see my plea for help in July? I just linked it above your post. Many fine folks from ScubaBoard stood up to volunteer, but with hundreds of nests...7 nights a week...they hatch anytime between 7 p.m. and sunrise...we need hundreds more volunteers to cover.

Your efforts are of course quite laudable. I was thinking more along the lines of a publicized effort by the FWC to recruit and train volunteers. It doesn't seem like a terribly difficult program to accomplish...:idk:

I have (and I know Debby has also) told many many people of our volunteer efforts and its rewards. I get a lot of "that's so cool," "You're awesome for doing that," "the turtle's thank you," "I wish I could see a hatch out"... and when you offer the website to sign up. They smile and walk away.

I suspect there is with the facility in Juno Beach. Turtle nests markings are all over the place in the summer. Back to my earlier post, I still contend that an official program by the FWC using volunteers is a very doable program IMO. It may take a few government bureaucrats getting off their back-side periodically but stranger things have happened...

Scott, not to pick on you.. but do you realize you have done exactly what so many other people have done? Say something needs to be done, and want something to be done, but when offered information on how to HELP... you smile and walk away?

Scott, not to pick on you.. but do you realize you have done exactly what so many other people have done? Say something needs to be done, and want something to be done, but when offered information on how to HELP... you smile and walk away?

Not at all. I will volunteer my time locally if they deem it necessary. The FWC is much better able to publicize and direct just such an effort. I start with the best solution first then move to the next best solution if previous step fails. This management tool has served myself and many, many others quite well since the dawn of time...

The FWC is much better able to publicize and direct just such an effort.
Now that's just good comedy humor.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom