Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What they found was shocking and disturbing.

THIS IS ILLEGAL!

What exactly was illegal? I think I must have missed something.

What exactly was illegal? I think I must have missed something.

Along these endangered turtles' nesting sites, the ordinance states that all lights facing the shore must be turned out or masked. The hatchlings instinctually go toward the phosphorescence of the water, and they go to sea. The brighter building lights make them go toward the streets and buildings. They become disoriented, never find the sea, and die quickly form exhaustion or cars.
By leaving lights on, the building owners are violating this ordinance. Illegal.

OK I was not aware of that law. It makes sense as I did know from previous discussions with Debby and Jenny that the baby turtles often head towards the lights.....Maybe a stiffer penalty would help because some businesses might just consider it a cost of doing business :idk:.

OK I was not aware of that law. It makes sense as I did know from previous discussions with Debby and Jenny that the baby turtles often head towards the lights.....Maybe a stiffer penalty would help because some businesses might just consider it a cost of doing business :idk:.

Yep. We have the same one in Savannah. Most beaches with sea turtle nesting have one.
It's enforcing it that gets to be a problem. Not many do.
In Savannah and Hilton Head, homeowners and businesses used to be really reamed if they left lights on facing the beach. Not so sure about now.

So far that hasn't worked for some. There are citations from 2008 that have not been closed yet.
The city of Hollywood (who is just as blatantly bad as Ft. Lauderdale, only smaller) did a major beach restoration a few years back. Deliberately put in lights along the broadwalk in defiance of the wishes of the turtle environmentalists. The mayor decried that the people needed the lights more than the turtles didn't. And since there is no ordinance in the city, they can do as they wish. Fortunately, I hear the beach restoration dollars (federal money) are now tied directly to compliance with turtle friendly lighting. :D :D

Betcha someone could break the bulbs faster than they could install them

Fortunately, I hear the beach restoration dollars (federal money) are now tied directly to compliance with turtle friendly lighting. :D :D

It is not often we like getting the Federal Gooberment involved, but this is good to hear....again, as long as it sticks.

And one better. That mayor got voted OUT!!! New mayor is much better, but seems to need a backbone...

Up here in Brevard County they have actually been pretty good about enforcing the turtle season no-lights regulations, mostly through the use of recurring daily fines once a violation has been recorded. They nearly shut down a gas station on the south side of Cocoa Beach, for example.

Luckily, half this county's beaches are part of Canaveral National Seashore and there are no lights out there at all.

...except during night launches, anyway. :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom