Formulated mask with purge valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorz

Registered
Reaction score
I have some sight correction that for me is important to wera under water too. My formula is not more than 3 (astigmatism and miopy).

The text books and the instructor have told me that I can buy a 2 glass mask and that the optic can put my correction to it.
I have been eyeing some masks and it appears that the ones with lenses that medium to big are not usable for this, only the ones that are small.
I have seen some Cressi masks and one Tusa that fit the bill and I have liked them.

The big question is: Do you recommend a purge valve? It looks very useful IMO but I have only been 5 times down there. I had some problems with water filtrating into the masks that I was borrowing during the course. It was really unconfortable to do the clearing manouver every 5 minutes and I almost never could be 100% dry on the bottom at the nose place, the masks cleared ok but there was always a small amount of watter at the bottom of my nose that really bothered me.

I have been told by some salesman here that the purge valve masks use to get damaged fast because the decompression manouver was always acting over the small area where the valve is placed and that this continous presure there ended damaging the valve, he told me that the live could be 1 year, I think this was extreme but I like to read what do you all think.

Thanks a lot.

I love my purge mask! I have a small face and when I first started diving having water in my mask was my biggest problem. My b/f recommended that I get a purge mask like he has, so I did. It's wonderful! I love not having to hold on to my mask to get rid of the water, and I haven't had nearly as many problems with this mask, so I guess it fits better than my old one too.

As for lasting, I have used it on about 40 dives so far in the last 2 years and it still works great. Also, my b/f has been on the same number of dives as me during that period and he has also had his for much longer and his still works great too. (Granted, we only go diving 2 or 3 times a year, so that might be a factor.) But I would say that even if it doesn't last as long as a normal mask, it makes diving so much more comfortable that it would be worth it to get a new one in a few years. All of my diving has been in the warm caribbean, so I don't know if cold water would affect how long it will last.

The one I have is a single lens, so I don't think it can have prescription lenses, so I can't give you any advice about that. But I can say that I wear contacts when I dive and I don't have any problems with them at all. Plus, I wear the daily disposable, so even if I did lose one, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Hope that helps.

Dion :)

Purge Masks: If you do a search on this board you will find a fair number of threads which discuss them. Many people do not like them as they feel that they are a gimmick and a solution to a problem that does not exist. I personally dive with one and have found no problems with it over the past two years with over 100 dives. That being said the valve being a valve will eventually fail, (or get stuffed with sand or sediment). So anyone with a purge valve should practice conventional mask clearing often to stay used to this situation. I use the purge about half the time, the other half I just do conventional clearing, depending on what I am doing. (Like if you are taking pictures and your hands are not free some find the purge a nice feature).

It sounds like you have an ill-fitting mask which leaks a lot, and that is the main problem, so a purge valve will not really be addressing the root of the problem. Try a variety of masks at a couple of shops and you should find one that will fit better.

Optics:

I have used: www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

They state that they can pretty much fit any mask with any type of corrective lens. I recommend them highly!

Scubamax

scubamax:
Purge Masks: Many people do not like them as they feel that they are a gimmick and a solution to a problem that does not exist.

It sounds like you have an ill-fitting mask which leaks a lot, and that is the main problem, so a purge valve will not really be addressing the root of the problem.

Scubamax

Scuabmax I couldn't have said it better.

I have a purge mask and a nonpurge mask. Personally, I now hate the purge mask. Before I thought the valve was the best thing since popcorn. Now that mask sits at home while the other one goes for a dive trip.

scubamax:
Optics:

I have used: www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

They state that they can pretty much fit any mask with any type of corrective lens. I recommend them highly!

Scubamax

WOW! Thanks a lot, and to all the others. This place is exactly what my doctor was recommending me :). With this I can buy any mask that I like here and send it to a friend in the US for that they change the lenses.

I think I will try the purge valve. I guess that if I choose a mask of a known quality producer it will go ok with the valve, and I will be very careful with the cleaning after each dive.

Any other places like this would be welcome.

Thank you very much.

Prescsription lenses are the way to go, mine are bifocals and they eliminated eye strain I didn't even know I was experiencing, I feel so much better when I get out of the water.

As for the purge valve, since you decided I assume you've done your research. It might be wise to make sure there is a non purge version of the mask you are buying (there almost always is) and that the lenses are interchangeable. That way should you change your mind you're only out a mask, not the custom lenses as well.

Pete

I owned a purge mask for about 2 dives, gave it away.

Thorz:
The big question is: Do you recommend a purge valve?

I absolutely hate them. I've got a moustache and a hard-to-fit face so even with my favorite masks I always get a slow leak. That's just part of diving! You *must* know how to clear a mask without a purge and be comfortable doing it, since at some point somobody's going to kick off your mask and your purge valve may not be up to the challenge.

Back in the late 70's when I first started diving it was for a time quite challenging to find a scuba-quality mask without a purge valve. I got a purge one and glued all around the valve so it couldn't leak. I'm not crazy about purges on snorkels, either, but I do have one on my snorkel. This is less of a problem since I hardly ever use it. I'm not one of those people who worry about having an unused port on their first stage because it could be a failure point. In the highly unlikely event this occurs I will always have ready access to the surface with the sort of diving I do. Purge valves are different: given enough time, they WILL fail. Every one I've ever had has. A failed snorkel purge is not that big a problem - many divers dive without a snorkel anyway. A failed mask purge will end your dive unless you have a backup. With prescription mask lenses the issue is even larger, since your backup would need prescription lenses, too.

In my opinion (putting on asbestos underwear), if you are not completely comfortable clearing a mask without a purge valve you are not ready for open-water diving. Clearing is one of the most basic of scuba skills. Whether it's ears, regulators, snorkels, or masks, you need to be able to clear whenever the need arises and whatever equipment you're using (rental, buddy's backup because yours broke, etc.).

For the record, I am very capable of clearing my mask without the purge valve. I didn't realize there was such a bias against purge valve masks. And as for making it more difficult to clear your ears, for me it is a non issue, as I can pop my ears with my jaw and I don't need to hold my nose.

I dive for the pleasure of being in the ocean and enjoying the view. My purge mask makes diving more enjoyable and relaxing for me. So I use it. Yes it is a potential failure point, but I do have my old mask as a spare if I need it. I am getting the impression that some people consider using one means that you aren't a "good" diver. That is ridiculous. That's like me saying that people who need split fins are wimps because they don't use "real" fins like I do. :D

Dion :)

I'm new to diving too, and have a conventional mask. I've had no problem clearing it once I figured the whole thing out, but I was intrigued by a purge mask, and came across a deal on an Oceanmaster Z4. I figured for the price of $36, that it was worth a try, and I knew that prescription lenses were availible for it, if I wanted. I got the mask in and have had a chance to dive with it once. It is easier to clear, and it does let a little more water in generally, but I really liked it. I ordered the prescription lenses and they came in last week, so I haven't had a chance to get them wet but, to put lenses in my conventional mask I would have spent as much or more than what I did for the Z4 and lenses.

The lenses for the Z4 are ordered from Oceanmaster, all you have to have is your prescription and order them. One of my LDSs installed the lenses for me.

Back
Top Bottom