Ford Transit Connect for dive wagon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CowMan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to upgrade my old Ford Explorer and wondered if anyone was using the Ford Transit Connect for a scuba van. This is the little one, not the big rig like NetDoc is driving. I'd be teaching out of it as well as commuting to work and a few longer trips like Bonne Terre and DEMA. I'm seeing quite a few used ones with just under 100,000 miles and priced at or near 10,000 dollars. Anything similar I should look at?

Having been under a few of these, I can offer an observation. You will need to help the suspension when you add scuba gear. I have installed a few of these -

2010 Ford Transit Connect Air Lift Ride Control Air Helper Springs 59569 | SuspensionConnection.com

The rear shock absorbers will need to be up to the task as well.

I know of a leaf spring system if you don't like the air spring concept

SuperSprings - Ford Transit Connect Helper Springs w/950 lbs capacity - 2010-2013 - SSA29 | SuspensionConnection.com

If you use the air spring system you must NEVER drive the vehicle with less than minimum air pressure in the springs.

DC

The new Nissan X-Trail is the way to go!
A shower, a drier, dehumidifier built in? Ramp for rolling up heavy tanks?
Global Newsroom

If Im not mistaken, @The Chairman had one of these before Van-essa (the 350XLT)

I believe he might even be selling his, at least he can give you some user feedback.

If Im not mistaken, @The Chairman had one of these before Van-essa (the 350XLT)

I believe he might even be selling his, at least he can give you some user feedback.
I had a Sprinter 2500, and I will sell, but not to anyone I know. :D :D :D

The Transit Connect is a good choice for Scuba. There's an instructor down here in the Keys using his like that. The big drawback for me? I couldn't use it as a changing room.

Update on my van research. I drove one of the departments new Ford Connect Transit passenger van of 80 or so miles down the turnpike. Drives real nice, not very powerful, and yes it is very small. I'm thinking for just me teaching out of it would be just fine. I'm curious how much louder the interior is in the cargo versions vs the passenger van.

Update on my van research. I drove one of the departments new Ford Connect Transit passenger van of 80 or so miles down the turnpike. Drives real nice, not very powerful, and yes it is very small. I'm thinking for just me teaching out of it would be just fine. I'm curious how much louder the interior is in the cargo versions vs the passenger van.
I would note that by the time you get your gear in a van (which normally consists of a lot of fairly soft thing s such as wetsuits, towels, gloves, boots, bags) they will go a fair way to dampening down the sound. Failing that buying some dynamat or similar will reduce it.

If you are going to insulate and line the van with plywood, you will find that you get very little noise by comparison.

We have a wide body sprinter ex ambulance. Great dive waggon. Sitting by the wood burning stove after a cold dive is bliss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom