Force Fins VS the world (advice for first pair of fins?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've been in FF since 1997, (after Bob installed the heel strap). And have always swore by them, from twin 100's to rebreathers and public service diving. Fins are personal and those that don't like them usually hate them and come up with some lame excuse. Due to standardization my work fins are Jet and my recreational/technical are FF. Try them and if you don't like them someone will buy them off of you!

Or, those that like them come up with some lame excuse. I bought a pair of Pros at least 10 years ago when distribution was wider and prices were much lower. Flutter kicking in mild conditions was fine. Alternative kicks and use in significant current was compromised. As a benchmark, I dive Dive Rite XTs. These fins are light, agile, and useful with all kicks and conditions. With this in respect, I have been counseled to try other Force Fin models to meet my criteria. Unfortunately, with the SB banning of Dan Volker, I lost my opportunity to try more advanced FF here in South Florida. This is much like religion, based on belief and expensive

Pick a set of fins and go diving. I have owned and dove dozens of different brands/models including force fins - my preference is for Jets or OMS Slipstreams. I like the weight of the jets better (floaty feet), just have a little more oomph with the OMS. I have friends that prefer other fins. It doesn't matter all that much - just go diving.

Thoughts on what my first pair of Scuba fins should be, and thoughts/arguments for and against the force fin?

After a few years of diving you will find yourself with multiple sets of fins.

One set for boat diving, another for the dry suit, a pair for warm coral reefs, etc.

Let the force be with you for your first pair. Why not?

Let the force be with you for your first pair. Why not?

The price tag. Flat(-ish) blade versions are priced to compete with low-end scooters, and at this point I suspect that'll give you pause even if you're a Navy and paying with "budget" rather than actual money from your own bank account.

Foot "pocket" is great and the material has a nice amount of snap in it and lasts forever -- but you can get ARAs + F1 + snorkel Cressi package and a bottle of very tasty single malt for less than the basic FF model.

I started diving in 1966. I have seen and heard much. Went to the Long Beach Scuba show to see some OLD friends and was surprised to not see many Young folks. I know more about swim/dive fins than almost anyone, having over 33 fin patents. I have been designing fins since 1971. I have been making Force Fins since 1981. It's OK if you want a fin that cost around $7.50 to make in the Peoples Republic of China and has a huge mark up for shippers and distributors and dealers to make their share. And, hangs off the end of your foot, instead of powering from your strongest kicking muscles. Our cost of goods went up and up and up, to a point where distribution through supply chain channels does not make any sense, for us, or for the 17 distributors and more than 600 dealers, we let phase out by attrition. We did not cut anyone off, simply eased them in a direction that allowed them to make more money from the fins they could sell. This was necessary for the dealers as well, since the cost of maintaining a dive store has increased as well. My partner/wife and I are happy taking care of those who want the best performing fins around. We have always offered a money back guarantee. Our return rate remains at less than nominal - .02%. However, looking around the show I understand why this sport does not attract the younger generation. Photo of a non-Force fin Diver.
DSC_0661.jpg

Bob, I don't dislike your fins and I wish you all the luck in the world, but what you said is FUD and does the opposite of helping your fin sales.

Bob, I don't dislike your fins and I wish you all the luck in the world, but what you said is FUD and does the opposite of helping your fin sales.
Dmaziuk, for the life of me, just looked up FUD on google " Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt " Really, I meant a honest response to why we are not distributed in the stores.. Understanding why we are not seen in 600 plus stores helps give the confidence to our products. My comments on the diving market can be removed. All my best to all during the 4th. Best, bob

I've bought a pair of ff about 15 years ago and I could still sell them and get back most of the money. Try that with any other fin. Most other fins don't have any value 15 years down the road... so, in the end of the day, they are really not that expensive. I have never even changed the heel straps on mine even thought I used them on well over 1000 dives.

Force fins are definetly a quality product and worth the price, IMHO... I also love small companies and I rather buy stuff off the 'little guy' than from corporations like Scubapro. It's a bummer that there aren't more small manufacturers left that make these individual products.

I also bought a pair of FF about 15 years ago, FF Pros. For me they were acceptable for flutter kick, but didn't work well for frog kick or other alternative kicks. I gave then many tries, switched from standard to bungee straps as I also found them hard to get on and off easily at the boat ladder. I still try them every once and a while for old times sake and to make sure I haven't changed my opinion, I haven't. Fortunately, I did not pay $290 and $48 for the bungee straps. They were widely distributed when I got them, paid $60 or $70 online. I dive Dive Rite XTs, not cheap, I mostly frog kick. I think I'll hold on to my FF, maybe they will appreciate as antiques.

Scubadada, As I mentioned early, we have stopped the widely distribution of Force Fins due to our manufacturing cost. you can not compare the snap to other materials. Dick Anderson led me to Poly Urethane as the best. I made the Excellator Force Fin for Captain Billy Deans and Kevin Gurr and it does
forcefin-112.jpg
well for the Frog Kick. The Jet Fin does a Frog Kick every well long with the Dive Rite XT ( formally Apollo fin ) and others. The big difference I have to offer is my design does not hang off the end of your foot and we use High Performance materials here in America Happy 4ht. Best, bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom