force fins or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, i was trying to find the original force fin because they are the cheapest so it wouldnt hurt as much if i hate them, it looks like i should go the force fin pro. slim fins are a little cheaper, are they powerful enough to be used for scuba? what other fins could be used for both scuba and swimming?

Having used Force Fin Pro on a regular basis and tried out Apollo Bio-Fins several times on loan from dive buddies IMHO the Bio-Fins would definitely be the better all around choice. As stated earlier Force Fin Pros are not made for surface swimming, paddle kicks on the surface will get you nowhere slowly, although I can get around fairly well wearing them snorkeling using a style of frog kick. I find the Bio-Fins easy on the legs and can paddle kick or frog kick with ease on the suface and like them for Scuba as well.

I love them I, have a set of the Force Fin Pros, they work great easy kicking. There not the greatest for snorkelers at the surface they have a tendancy to slap, if you are not able to keep your legs down, it took me a little bit but I got used to it. I fought going with them for a long time, but once I did I started asking myself what took so long.

Also if you watch any of the video's on the US Discovery channel with US Navy Divers, Quite a few were wearing them.

i just got 2 completely different views on force fins, one is suggesting that they are no good on surface kicking and the other is that they work well. gee, hard to pick.....the technologies in a force fin sound so convincing with all those theories but dodgy reviews except for a few.
well, im trying out the force fins of my diving instructer today......see how they go.

My friend loves his, but he looks really strange underwater :D Also despite him being a fair bit fitter than I am at the moment, we had a short race in our scuba gear and I kicked his arse in my Scubapro Jets. He was really disappointed because up till then he thought Force fins were the greatest invention since sliced bread :D He still likes them though

I'm glad you can try them out, my comments before aside I would personaly go with the Force Fins because I really like them for diving and I do mange just fine on the surface as well. In my experince it can take more practice than 1 day allows to fully get the knack of kicking with them. If your DM is experienced with them I reckon he will have some good tips to help you get a feel for them.

I just have a hard time fully endorsing Force Fins since many people don't like them, and I do like the Bio Fins as well. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get along with the FF.

Well, you probally noticed that there are two seperate views on Force Fins. Personally, I LOVE them. I just got through with my dive master program and my Ai/Instructor where I had to do a 800 yard snorkel. I am not a strong swimmer but I kicked butt with my Force fins on the snorkel. I beat EVERYBODY in the class. I have no problem using them on the surface. I can frog kick just fine (you're not supposed to be able to do that with Force fins) with them. I find that they are MUCH easier to kick with that any other fins I have tried. Just for what it is worth, I own several pairs of other types of fins including Jets & Turtles. I will not go back to anything else.

James

Try them and make your own mind up. I personally did my first 50 dives ever with the regular force fins and never had a problem. Dove them in lakes, Keys, in strong currents on Spiegel Grove, Mexico drift diving and worked well. They always if nothing else are a conversation piece on the dive boat. I just bought a dry suit so had to buy another larger pair to fit over my rocks boots. I got the pro's for a good deal from my LDS. Good luck.

Personally I love mine. If at all possible get them with the bungie strap, it makes a huge difference from what I hear. I've been using mine for about 60 dives now and haven't ever had a cramp using them while I cramped all the time with my 'paddles'. Hope you like them.

-Rob

Back
Top Bottom