force fins or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was going to try them out today but my instructor didnt bring them.....:(
anyway, i made up my mind if i dont get the FF i would definately go splits. has anyone tried both the scubapro twin jets and the apollo bio-fins? do they feel the same?
thanks for the positive comments.

kjpwong:
i was going to try them out today but my instructor didnt bring them.....:(
anyway, i made up my mind if i dont get the FF i would definately go splits. has anyone tried both the scubapro twin jets and the apollo bio-fins? do they feel the same?
thanks for the positive comments.

Between Bio-fins and Twin-jets, I'll go with the Bio-fin Pros. Used the Twin jets before and I didn't like them. The control is not as good as the Quattros. Didn't have my TDFF then, so I can't compare between them and memory impressions rarely serves well. Bio-Fin Pro's control is about there of the Quattro though sculling is easier with the Quattro. For sprints or current fighting, do remember that there is also an optimum finning technique associated with the Biofins.

yeah, i finally got the chance to try both the FF and the apollo bio fins today. the first dive i used the delta with the wings, they didnt impress me at all and i ended up with a very sore foot. they very very snappy too and almost too snappy that i was getting quite ordinary propulsion both on the surface and underwater.
i tried the bio fins for my second dive. they impress me with the excellent comfort and ease of kicking but i noticed i dont get as much control and i struggled to change direction or stop quickly, but i definately prefer the bioi fins over the FF at the moment. the propulsion wasnt extraodinary but the ease and comfort really impressed me.

Tan Delta with wings? Which FF did you try?

Go to the FF website to look at the recommended finning style. If you are finning correctly, you should not be getting sore feet.

edwinh:
Tan Delta with wings? Which FF did you try?

Go to the FF website to look at the recommended finning style. If you are finning correctly, you should not be getting sore feet.
I've got a set of FF Pro's. I recall that the top of my foot (over the bone) was sore after a week of diving. I just wore a pair of Akona Titanium boots with them. Is that a result of my kicking technique or do I need more padding on top of my foot?
Thanks,
Brian

m7scuba:
I've got a set of FF Pro's. I recall that the top of my foot (over the bone) was sore after a week of diving. I just wore a pair of Akona Titanium boots with them. Is that a result of my kicking technique or do I need more padding on top of my foot?
Thanks,
Brian
I have prominent instep bones and require extra padding there. Also, wearing a too small Force fin can deceive you since they are opened toed they don't feel tight but it puts the top band in the wrong place over your instep and that could cause an irritation also. The only thing the Force Fin should not do for you is give you a calf cramp. But I need a thin piece of foam in the instep.

Hi,

That's the problem some divers face with this fin, cus of the fact it actually locks up your ankle, all the force is concentrated on the top of your foot. Some extra padding will help the problem but it's the feeling of your toes and ankle pointed straight all the time that's weird and unsettling.
Apollos are much easier to get use to and if you got the XT version, I think they should be almost as easy to do other types of fining styles.

SangP

m7scuba:
Thanks,
Brian

I had similar problem on my left foot with FF when I first switched to FF Extra. Now I have a neoprene insert on my left foot and no insert on my right foot and don't have any problem with pain on top of my left foot now. FF comfort insert or whatever it was called was a little too thick for my FF/feet so I had to use a little home made stuff.

I miss my Force Fins that were stolen even though I used them less than half the time. I always used my older longer Tusa fins when I was out with just a couple buddies that I was evenly matched with or on drift dives with stronger current, but I preferred the Force Fins on crowded boats, out with students, or diving in larger groups. While I never had the speed or power with the Force Fins I found them very relaxing to dive with as long as I didn’t need a lot of speed, their smaller size reduced the number of people stepping on my fins on a crowded, and I could maneuver much better on land with them when I needed to help someone.

It took me a long time to learn to frog kick correctly in them so I could maneuver near the bottom without stirring up silt, and they are less forgiving of lazy kicking habits where you are using your lower leg muscles instead of your entire leg for your kick.

i guess the FF gave me foot aches because there was too much stress put on my top of my foot or the fins were too small, i dont think my kicking style was a problem unless FF requires another kicking style in order to get them working. i m not sure what type of FF it was, it was longer than the original, the old material and with wings.
do the original and pro ones fell better or different?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom