force fins or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the comments once again
has anyone tried the FF slim fin? i know they are specially built for swimming but are they just like other swim fins? would i be able to do swimming training with them?(in a pool)?

kjpwong:
hi fellas, im new to this forum.......
i m currently looking at these force fins that will ease the aches on my foot ligaments after diving with traditional fins. i m also looking for a pair of fins for more than one purpose other than scuba diving, purposes such as ocean swims and body surfing. i have an okay kicking technique but dodgy ankles, but my legs are generally strong.
any suggestions or recommendations for fins that would allow me to kicking a little easier and the fins itself are easier to carry round?
comments, reviews, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
:)

This is deja vu all over again ... :wink:

kjpwong, there have been numerous posts on this on SB. If you haven't received enough replies to confuse you, here are some links:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98001&highlight=force+fins
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=76529&highlight=force+fins

kjpwong:
...has anyone tried the FF slim fin? i know they are specially built for swimming but are they just like other swim fins? would i be able to do swimming training with them?(in a pool)?
I have an adjustable pair of Slim Fins and they are ideal for doing pool laps. They are not for diving however. The Total Immersion swim training program recommends them.

do the original or pro fins do a good job for swim fins or are they more scuba fins? on the FF website, they said both the original and pro are fine for swim fins but i thought wouldnt they be a little too bulky and too wide for swimming training?

Between the two it looks like they classify only the original softer model as a swim fin. I can testify the the stiffer Pro model is a mediocre fin for doing a freestyle crawl stroke on the surface. You basically just end up slapping the water.

yeah, i know, i m looking for a pair that would do snorkelling, swimming (both ocean and pool) and body surfing......i thought the original were too wide for swimming training.......

tried out some FF pro today for 2 dives.
i have some aching achilles, is that because that the fins are loosening up the ligaments since i havent kicked for a fair while?
the advantages i found: i was able to move around and change directions really easily and i can do lots of kicks with them, frog, backward kick, butterfly....etc. it was really easy to get into and get out off. no toe cramps or foot cramps. when i was lying on the sand bottom looking at something, the FF hardly stirred up any sand which was excellent.
disadvantages i found: more air consumption, at the end of the dive my brother had another 40 bars more than me and when i used to use normal fins i comsume way less than him. the water propulsion was a bit ordinary i thought, i needed to increase the number of kick cycles in order or maintain speed, i felt just a tiny glide after each cycle which was a little bit disappointing. hard to kick on surface(as i expected because the pros are stiffer)
i would give them a 7/10. maybe i need time to get used to them.

I have had no problems with aching feet while wearing FF, I would expect your achilles would toughen up after a short time. Or maybe the strap was too tight, squeezing your achilles?

The number 1 reason I prefer FF over other other fins has to do with the precise control I have while diving with them. I can stop on a dime, helicopter around with a few twitches of my toes, and frog off to the next thing that catches my eye. I can perform these manoeuvres quite well with other fins I have tried out but they always feel a bit sloppy comparitively. Being able to easily walk around while wearing them is nice. Ease of on/off is the other reason I like them, although I would think putting spring straps on any other fin would give the same result.

I wonder about your increased air consumption, 40 bar is a lot of extra air to use up. I use my air no quicker using FF than any other fin. Maybe your breathing pattern was a bit less relaxed than normal as you focused on getting a feel for the new fins? I wish the FF Pro had more power, this is the only reason I am still looking around for a better fin. The FF extra look like they have potential to provide that power, but there is NO WAY I am spending $400+ for a pair of fins.

reagarding the aching achilles, i was just probably not used to finning since i havent done it for a while.
as you have said before Kupu, the reason i like the FF pro is because you are in control, i was doing anything i like underwater with different kicks and didnt have a problem with them. the on/off were so easy to use and its easy to walk around with.
about the extra air consumption, i guess its just a one off case where i used up more, its probably becuase i wasnt as settled since i was using the FF for the first time.
the propulsion i thought was not as good as i expected, i tried the bio fins before and they really gave me an effortless glide underwater and thats probably why the controll of bio fins are not as good as the FF.
has anyone tried the FF slim fins? i m planning to buy them for pool training, snorkelling and body surfing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom