force fins or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would get them if they were priced cheaper. i dont understand why they have to be way overpriced?

Back in the mid 1990's, I belonged to the CompuServe Scuba Forum. Its logo was "Don't Just Lurk!" At the time I was living in Europe (Holland) and was working on my Dive master certification with PADI and my Instructor Certification with the British Sub Aqua Club (why two different agencies, long story, but I'm glad I did both). Anyway, by then I had been using (regular) Force Fins for about three years and being new to the Internet and the forums--and very lacking in netiquette--I made the mistake of jumping into what I remember as "The Great Force Fin Wars". That is, no mater what you said, pro or con, someone with a differing opinion would fire back a salvo and it would build on that until people were just hurling biting insults at one another. Within a few months and a few scraps, I was finished with the whole forum business.

That all said, I'll break my forum "vow of silence" and take a quick stab at this. My recommendation is you simply borrow a pair of Force Fins and try them for yourself. I found their compact size and rugged durability (I have over 10 years and over 600 dives on a single pair--and I still use 'em!) to be of value. Also, I have a big foot but a small frame. Any conventional fin I bought (back then) to fit my foot (usually an XL) came with a large blade that caused me more work. I found the smaller blade of the Force Fin to be more comfortable and less work (for me) than a conventional fin. It all came down to personal preference. They are no better or worse when comparing them against other brands and styles. It comes down to WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU and the only way to know, is to try them.

I hope this helps. I really need to get down to Oz someday to check out your Great Barrier Reef and sink a few pints of VB on tap! Cheers, DJ

hi djesser, thanks so much for the info and you really should come down someday and try some of our top beers---VB, or XXXX Gold which is regarded as the typical queenslander beer.
anyway, regarding the smaller blade on FF, wouldnt that require you have more kick cycles to keep up the same pace? does that lead to more air consumption?
have you tried any of the other fins now? they all seem have distictive and convincing technologies and its so hard to pick but at the same time you can compare more which is good for consumers at the end. i tried these adjustable apollo biofins and they were super comfortable.
one of the other things i like about the FF is the total control you get underwater and the ease of putting on and getting off. and that snappy feeling is quite cool.
do you feel a glide after a kick becuase i reckon FF underwater propulsioin is a little ordinary.......i have to concentrate on each kick and the downward thrust in order to get an obvious forward movement.....does that happen to u?

Hello. I really don't know if FF's require more kick cycles. The smaller blades, for me, anyway, meant I had to work less than with the larger blades and because I worked less underwater, I saved air. I never noticed that FF's make me go faster either on top of or below the water. I remember hearing some claims to the effect, but I'd say though I noticed no definite improvement, I saw no decline in my speed, either, once I switched to FF's. The comfort and ease are what really hooked me.

I was on a trip a few months ago and unexpectedly had the chance to dive. I never rent equipment but had no choice as the opportunity was unexpected. The conventional fins felt really alien to me (it had been a while) and my control and comfort levels were both off. That just meant it had been so long since I was used to other fins, that I can't really give a straight answer. I just don't have the experience and it would not be fair to comment on the newer fins that have hit the market in recent years.

Since 1994 I recieve in the post a publication called "Scuba Diving Magazine" formerly known as "Rodale's Scuba Diving." The staff posts very good reviews of equipment and list "best buy" type choices. They have steered me right in several equipment purchases and have extensive reviews on fins that you might find useful. http://www.scubadiving.com/

Cheers,

DJ

As much as people love force fins, when I tried them once, they hurt my ankle.. badly. My advice.. just say no to force fins of any kind.

hi mantasscareme
i guess the reason why the FF hurt your ankles is becuase you only had them on once, and i think they would have toughened up your achilles and ligaments around your ankles before feeling the benefits of the FF, well thats at least what i think, i havent tried they for too long but i reckon they are pretty good for its size.

kjpwong:
I thought the original were too wide for swimming training...
I saw a picture of a US Air Force special ops pararescue diver carrying them. Since they are arguably the best rough water surface swimmers around and can pretty much choose whatever they want I think they probably work OK for that purpose.

I was loaned a pair the other week when the strap broke on my quatros. HOnestly? Hated them for about 40 minutes of the dive. IN the last 10 I began to adapt to them a bit. But my ankles hurt and I used a lot of energy. I suspect over time you would adapt your technique to get the best out of them. I usually frog kick but I had to change to flutter to get anywhere and even then it wasn't that great. Just my take - the person I borrowed them from loves 'em.

I think someone earlier in this thread said it best when they said fins are one of the most-personal items of scuba gear you can own.

I have used the vast majority of fins on the market, and I choose to use Force Fins because I like them, for a variety of reasons – they are small and easy to pack for travelling, they give plenty of power in all sorts of conditions, you can walk around in them and climb up normal boat ladders (useful when it is as rough as hell, like a lot of places I dive).

Now I am not going to say they are the best fins in the world as, like I said before, everyone has their own opinions. A few of my friends have tried mine, love them and have bought their own. Others just couldn't get on with them. Likewise, I've tried and hate, for example, Quattros and the old Jet Fin, yet many people love both of them. I don't believe anyone should be derided for their choice of fin – or any other item of equipment, come to think of it – as, if it works for you, bollox to what everyone else thinks.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom