force fins or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
hi fellas, im new to this forum.......
i m currently looking at these force fins that will ease the aches on my foot ligaments after diving with traditional fins. i m also looking for a pair of fins for more than one purpose other than scuba diving, purposes such as ocean swims and body surfing. i have an okay kicking technique but dodgy ankles, but my legs are generally strong.
any suggestions or recommendations for fins that would allow me to kicking a little easier and the fins itself are easier to carry round?
comments, reviews, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
:)

This is almost a taboo question. You have on the right - out-right force fin condemners, and on the left - full fledge force fin supporters.

Force Fins are just a different kind of fin. If you are a conventional fin user with "these finning techniques are right, any else are wrong" mentality, then you'll hate these fins. If you are open to new finning techniques and change your finning technique to the fins, then you might find Force Fins suitable for you.

I have dove with Mares Quattros for the last 8 years, dove with Jetfins every now and then, tried the split fins when I was looking for a new pair of fins. I still love my Quattros. I tried the original Force Fin and found them too soft. Then I tried my friend's Tan Delta Force Fins and there I found my new fins. I will not say all other fins are crap and Force Fins are tops. Fin preference are too subjective. Now, with my Tan Deltas, I'm getting more control with less effort. Finning techniques between them are very different.

Try them before buying. You'll need a few dives to get used to the new finning technique and figure out what techniques work best. Just keep this in mind, learn to use your fin and it will serve you well, regardless what fin it is.

Tan Delta material force fins costs almost twice the normal force fin range. Try out the Force Fin Pro and others and then the Tan Delta fins to see if you really want/need it.

If your aim is to look for fins that are easy on the knees/ankles, apollos pros are excellent fins as well. They cost almost the same same as non-tan delta fins.

If you are trolling, then I've just wasted my five minutes.

FINS: A Series of Independent, Comparative Tests
http://www.ndsu.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

A terrific (and very detailed) evaluation/review of a bunch of different fins. Aside from being a trained scientist, the author has also been one of the participants in the D2D fin tests on a couple of occasions.

thanks fellas,
i noticed the controversy on the force fins in this forum, people either love them or hate them, so i really appreciate the comments and suggestions coming from a neutral position. i would definately try the force fins for a few dives, if i find them difficult to cope with i will switch back to the traditional ones.
do you guys know any fins that would go easy on my ankles since i got really dodgey ones, had a reconstruction on one of them due to injuries in rugby.....

cheers

What fins will be largely determined by the kind of swimming you do with them and your kick style. I would think that small stiff blades might be the answer for your situation, but that's a WAG on my part.

i thought stiff fins would result in aching ankles and ligaments around it....
are there any specific fins that would help? good propulsion, comfort and ease, anti-sore ankles.......

kjpwong:
i thought stiff fins would result in aching ankles and ligaments around it....
are there any specific fins that would help? good propulsion, comfort and ease, anti-sore ankles.......

A Scooter LOL!

But seriously, I have bad knees and I have both force fins and apollo fins.

I like the fact that you tend to use your quads more when using the force fins as it locks up your ankle. The apollo is great cept it is best used with short quick strokes.

Either if fine for bad knees.

SangP

thanks mate, i was thinking about about the apollo bio-fins as well. the thoery of kicking with the whole leg and fish swimming theory sound pretty convincing to me by bob evans but there are lots of negative comments about force fins too. i have a pretty good (at least i think so) kicking style, would i have to change it to adapt to the force fins?
would i be able to use the force fins or bio-fins for other purposes such as snorkelling, swimming and body-surfing?
cheers

kjpwong,

My mate in Aus tells me he has seen force fins in cash converters so I guess that if one pops up cheap enough, have a go at it... ebay too.

Force fins work fine for almost everything cus of their length but body surfing eh...?

Try a cheaper version of the force fins and if you hate them... not much of a loss. The Apollos are pretty good too but they are splits in case you aren't partial to splits.

SangP

I am a "left-winger" but Force Fins suck for regular surface swimming. Actually, I mean the Force Fin Pros which most associate with the brand name Force Fin. Force Fin do also make the very best swim fin (Slim Fin) but you will not find a do everything fin. If you insist on trying then get the original softer Force Fin which would be more usable for regualr swimming than the stiffer Pro model. Check Ebay to find someone who hates them or doesn't understand them and will unload for good price. The bungie strap is a good option to get.

Back
Top Bottom