For the most awesome dive experience you'll ever have!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this makes for a very interesting read.. :amazed:

So, if you went on a multi-day trip and caught your 21 bugs, how would you store said bugs??:confused4:

Thank you for the info,

IrnBear

Wow, this makes for a very interesting read.. :amazed:

So, if you went on a multi-day trip and caught your 21 bugs, how would you store said bugs??:confused4:

Thank you for the info,

IrnBear

Freeze them whole. Most of the boats have deep freezes and/or live tanks.

This has become an amazing post!! Does anyone want to meet up on friday night, midnight to go diving for bugs? Without defining legalities of the entire encyclopedia of fishing regulations, how experienced one is on another side of a channel, how you would freeze them? It's new to me, I've never seen the brine type freezers on a dive boat!!! But they may exist!! (I've seen divers keep them in a bag in a livewell which by the way, is usually how it's done!!!) I tend to store mine in the microwave for a few minutes, or boiling water. The post here, was it weeks ago?, was in other words...hoping I get the english and grammer perfect on this one: Does anyone (diver certified, legally licensed lobster card holder, or photographer,) want to go on an annual HardcoreDiveTeam Lobster Opener hunting legal size lobster under the over-limit number of 8 with us? I didn't see through all this way off context chattering if anyone said "Yes or No?" Forgive me, I kind of got lured into the bench side of things...I've too busy diving. And a little dingy from it, from all that's going on!

Attn: This is not a multi day shore dive. We are not going to get Multi Day Declaration for extra day limit takes. I know that's going to be hard to process, but read it a few times, and it may become easier to understand.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2014 at 10:56 AM ----------

You so cal divers are awesome. Gives me hope for me.

Last edited:
Hello H2Ocean,

I am very sorry for treading on your thread. I was enjoying the info/banter of the thing.
Very informative once I was able to read through the excess content.

I have not been able to find the answer to my question, no matter how I phrase it and such.

I am unable to attend your Dive Adventure. I will be going out a boat out of San Pedro on Sat Night… Woohoo, looking forward to that.

I am a little (ok A Lot) confused that you are going to put 21 lobsters in your Microwave at the end of your trip…
I guess that isn't much different then putting 21 lobsters in red_insteads freezer Whole...

Again,
Very sorry for treading on your thread,

IrnBear

IrnBear? I cannot tell you how happy I am to recieve a question of interest. Logic! Sir the original post far back in time beyond the haggling of everything but....was about a shore dive to get the chance to take 1 maybe 2 lobsters. It has since been inflamed as such rhetoric the topic has been lost. Point taken and extremely focused on a killed post.
I have in the past 4 yrs enjoyed a traditional lobster dive in Palos Verdes, it's fun, exciting and forever changing!! For example, couple years ago, we did survey dives the week before opener...bugs were everywhere. On opening night...they were not. Awesome!! HardcoreDiveTeam on facebook or hardcorediveteam.com revels in the fact that we aren't the all knowing, policing agencies of scuba. Like a baby beginning to walk, you can help all you want, it's going to learn how to do it on its own and develop it's own style. Like diving. You are not going to believe this. I'd love to make a new post from it, it'd give the couch potato ghestapo months of something to do in life.
I went today to get a lobster card. They said I failed to report last years take. I did report the last years take before January 31, 2014. JUST LIKE THE REGS SAID TO DO! Which was maybe 7 to 10 bugs!! Then I wanted to get a 2014 report card. Sport Chalet said it isn't available on 2/27/14, but the manager came out and wiggled the machine and said "here you are!" I got the long card and was off. Only my son said, "hey dad, your card expires in just over a month, and it was a 2013 LOB card??? what? So I'd already reported and was sold a 2013 license in well past 2014...Jerry Brown is in violation of running an agency that cannot function. So today they say I not only owe a 2nd 9 dollars for 2014....but another 20.00 for not reporting. I have a confirmation # proving I did. After calling Jessica and mr Buck, then his supervisor, they re-considered thier stake in the claim. I wonder how many people just paid the $20.00 fine because it's too much pain in the but to deal with? California Department of Fish and Wildlife managing is in desparate trouble. These very visitors to this post to bend it far away from reality, have been known to not only harm, but with intentions to crush someone they do not know, based on the same type of mis-management from DFW. I can only hope they get a big belly full of what I just said. Because they may be way out of line.
IrnBear, I did never state I was going to take more than a days limit, in a day. I also stated I'm lucky and happy to get that many all year!!! But laws are laws and those speaking from conservation hopes to change habbits are not. To get plain Declaration for multi-trip are available. Unless it's been changed. I'm made out to be a bandit, a ruthless renegade, that's so far from the truth. When I see someone or groups relentlessly "beating" someone else up, when it's relating to Bullying, and on a subject that may not be completely accurate, like my DFW Lobster card.. I don't care who it is, I feel it's my duty as a human to even the sides. It's just what I do. I do respect and weigh the details, very carefully.
When someone goes on a facebook page that I'm part of, and maliciously slanders in hopes to destroy a friend of mine, I'll be very honest with them and let them know, it's in very poor taste, we like to dive, and have fun. We do not worry about who did what, when and where, hardcorediveteam.com in southern california is who I'm only a part of. They are researchers, product developers, new dive site finders, both fresh and brine. I notice they are not plagued by politics nor religious leanings. They are for exploring our underwater world. We have a blast. Like that page, you could be the receipient of awesomeness!! In many ways.
Have a fun on your opening night lobstering!!~ After the DFW today I did have a vendeta against all lobsters, If my cost was going to be 9 dollars twice and another 20. I was going to kill all legal lobsters I could and feed the neighborhood, just because. I've changed my mind. Thank you for treading on my thread, you are maybe the only one, that made any sense!!!

Yeah, freezing whole uncooked lobsters is less than ideal, but it can be done. THis is CDFW's published position as far as I know:

Question: I run a six-pack charter boat business and we often hoop net for crab and lobster. My deckhands and I make money by cleaning our passengers’ catch. This includes both rock crab and lobster. We always wait until we make landfall before we tail the bugs. This year the new regulations say: “(e) Spiny lobsters shall be kept in a whole, measurable condition until being prepared for immediate consumption.” What is the definition of immediate consumption? Will I be in violation if I clean the lobsters for my passengers after hitting the dock? (Captain David Y.)Answer: Yes, prior to this law, there was a big enforcement problem with people who were already on the shore tailing undersize lobsters before the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) could contact them to measure their catch. Because lobsters must be measured across the back of their carapace rather than the tail region, this was allowing them to get away with possessing short lobsters when the carapace and tails were separated. This is one of the reasons why this section was changed.
According to DFG Lt. Eric Kord, captain of the San Diego-based patrol vesselThresher, by the letter of the law, “prepared for immediate consumption” means cooked and on a plate ready to be eaten immediately. Or in the case of sushi, it means ready to be eaten immediately raw on a dinner plate. He advises not cleaning or tailing the lobsters for your passengers as it doing so would be a violation. If they are stopped by a game warden on the way to their car, they would be cited for illegal possession of tails under this section.
Lt. Kord suggests the following: “You may want to consider ‘preparing’ them a different way, like perhaps putting the lobster in a container with some ice where the melting ice water can drain out of the container and not drown the lobster, or maybe keep them loosely wrapped/covered in a moist, saltwater towel. By doing this, your customers can enjoy fresh lobsters when they get home or they can just freeze them. If the folks have a long way to drive, I would consider putting them in a wood box with wood shavings. Lobsters are imported from Mexico in this way and survive a surprisingly long time. I personally use ice packs in a cooler when I transport my lobsters a long way. I have left them overnight like that with the cooler lid cracked and they are still quite alive in the morning.”
“You could also de-vein the lobsters, bleed them and then freeze them on the boat in a whole condition (carapace still attached to the tail). At the end of your trip, you can hand the passengers their frozen bugs for their rides home and they are already somewhat cleaned. Then they just snap the tails off of the rest of the body when they get ready to eat them at home.”

I'll let everyone know whether CFW has a problem issuing me a report card this year, since apparently there's some controversy at the moment. But I buy the seasonal, not annual report cards, so YMMV.

You could also de-vein the lobsters, bleed them and then freeze them on the boat in a whole condition (carapace still attached to the tail).

How do you " bleed them " ?

Last edited:
How do you " bleed them " ?

That was a question I had after reading that. But as near as I can tell, you'd shove your knife at an angle into the joint between the tail and carapace, into the carapace, and without severing the tail. Then devein. Seems like that would provide an avenue for fluids to leave the lobster's shell without spoiling the meat, and without causing them to freeze into the meat in the case of freezing.

But I keep my lobsters live until I use them so I can't speak from personal experience.

That was a question I had after reading that. But as near as I can tell, you'd shove your knife at an angle into the joint between the tail and carapace, into the carapace, and without severing the tail. Then devein. Seems like that would provide an avenue for fluids to leave the lobster's shell without spoiling the meat, and without causing them to freeze into the meat in the case of freezing.

But I keep my lobsters live until I use them so I can't speak from personal experience.

I have heard that about shrimp but never about lobsters. If you do what you said you kill the lobster.

I have been doing this since 1959, and still doing it today with no ill affects with me or my friends and family.

You keep the lobsters alive till you get home. You cut the lobster in a way to remove the tail from the body. You remove ( devein ) the wast track, wash the tail and dry it and put in a freezer bag and freeze it.You have lobster all year long :D

Yes, I take over my limit of lobsters and on the way back to port I ask anyone who did not get their limit of lobster who have a permit from fish & game ( notice I did NOT capitalize f & g ) gets some. Now every one has their lobsters, what do you do with the rest of them ? You light the bar-b-q and through the lobster on it and party, party, party all the back to shore. Have some butter and lemon juice make some Margaritas turn the music up loud and dance you life away.
When you reach shore the f & g will be waiting for you and your friends to check what you have in your sacks. LOL

Yeah, go ahead and bad mouth me, I don't care !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom