• 9-16 cylinders

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • 17-32 cylinders

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • More then 32 cylinders

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This poll is for non-technical divers only: please answer only if your level of training and certification is Advanced Open Water.

EDIT: OK, so let's open this up to all divers between Advanced Open Water diver and Technical, excluding this last category.

How many dive tanks do you own ?
Why do you prefer owning, or not owning, your dive tanks ?
Where do you store your dive cylinders ?

Feel free to post any comments to explain your choices.
So I like owning my own tanks cause I can hit the water any time I like as long as they are filled, if one should leak I have another to use, I also know that they are well maintained. I have a range of tanks for different diving. from AL63's to HP100's, as well I have four certified divers in my family and two more to be certified.
:)

Probably another for liveaboards too. Just to be thorough.
I went back and counted. It was 218. That includes the banks, O2 and Helium, and all of the rental doubles and rebreather cylinders, and the AL-80's. And of course, mine.

1 x 12 litre steel
1 x 10 litre steel
1 x Al40

Own because I work shifts and prefer to know I have cylinders ready to go when I am and because I'm edging towards solo diving so will be taking as much control and responsibility for my personal gear as possible, taking classes for reg service etc. Normally also if I book in and pay for a dive trip the operators near me usually do a deal where you bring the first cylinder and they provide the second for the after lunch dive.

They are kept either in the garage or an indoor storage room depending as I currently rent.

(2) LP50 side
(2) AL40 side, independent or manifold doubles, stages (added)
(1) LP27 trial side/ pony

Own for independence from shop location or hours pre or post dive. Also not many small side mount tanks for rent.
Often leave in car to reduce shlepping them to and fro.

(6) HP steel 120's
(6) HP steel 100's
(4) HP steel 130's
(1) LP 76 steel doubles
(1) LP 85 steel doubles
(1) LP 108 steel
(1) LP 85 steel
(1) AL 80
(4) AL 30

Total: 27

2 AL 80's
1 AL 19

If I am going to need more air than that, I take the compressor along.
Stored in a dedicated walk-in closet in the garage for scuba and camping gear.
I do have another dedicated ventilated closet for (laboratory) compressed gas cylinders and sometimes they go in there, but usually they end up with the rest of the gear.

On the boat, they live in a tank rack in the cockpit. Unless I need to make an open-water passage, then they get strapped down in the quarterberth.

Back
Top Bottom