For a traveling photographer; Best Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Have done some reading, understand the basics, going to a learn and demo session next month that will have rEvo, Megaldon, KISS, and Shearwater. But still curious what you all think.

Mainly interested in use for photography, no bubbles. Not really interested in going to 300ft. Like the idea of extend bottom time but don't want to sling extra bottles and often diving with people on air. Size matters as will be going on airplanes. Availability of scrubber/gas/etc at destinations in the South Pacific is an issue. 70% cold water diving, 30% tropical. Since face is in camera looking for a system that is simple to use, must admit leaning to eCCR.

Any input welcome. Especially by anyone packing a camera or travels with one.

You will get lots of biased opinions, and here is mine. I, too, dive a CCR mainly for the no bubbles and photography. I have travelled all over the world with a Sport Kiss. It is small and lightweight (aluminum case) and easily packs into a Storm Case with the whole thing weighing under 50 lbs, including cylinders (valve removed and in my other checked luggage).

Other than its small size and weight, the simplicity and reliability of the unit is what has sold me on it. It is very intuitive and there is not much to go wrong. You don't need a bunch of equipment and spare parts as you travel around the world. Maintenance and set-up is a breeze.

I've travelled far and wide across the globe with mine and in well over 700 dives, I have never missed a dive because of a rebreather issue. To me that speaks volumes.

BTW, there are lots of professional photographers who have their "face in the camera" that dive mechanical rebreathers. As a CCR enthusiast and instructor, I really don't think the mentality of using an electronic rebreather so you "don't have to pay as much attention to the unit" is a safe one. You should be just as attentive to an eCCR as a mCCR.

Just my 2 cents (and clearly a biased 2 cents).

Doug

Doug offers some sage advice. I've done my share of photography on a "diver controlled" manual regreather and really don't think it encumbered me any more than would be necessary to dive either style safely.

You should also take a look at the rEvo mini or micro, they are nice for traveling, a bit more cash than the sport Kiss. I like the dual scrubber of the rEvo and the improved work of breathing over the KISS, IMHO. Both the rEvo and KISS are remarkably simple and easy to fix in the field. The copis Meg is another nice option as well.

I have yet to miss a dive on a mCCR, where as the eCCR's we owned ruined entire trips due to malfunctions that could not be serviced in the field because of complex electronics issues that were way over my head. That said, you will find eCCR owners who have not had issues and are big fans of the automation.

safe diving!
g

I was going to answer you but Doug beat me to it. While I dive a Classic KISS, mostly because my diving is more technical --the Sport KISS sounds perfect for your needs.

Jeff

As Gill Envy has noted - electronics do crash. On expeditions, or jobs where money are involved I often took a redundant rebreather or set of electronics. I use a KISS Classic rebreather too and it's light enough not to cause much of an issue traveling. The simplicity of MCCR can't be beat. That being said - I dive the ECCR Meg in mechanical mode.

Personally, I like the electronics too (HUD redundancy) when I am doing professional video work or where certain levels of myopia is needed, or when I am task loaded. That being said - dedicated video/camera work benefits by having a camera assistant/safety diver in tow.

X

Thanks for the input. For those traveling are you picking destinations where your scrubber, etc is in stock or are you shipping your own?

Like the idea of extend bottom time but don't want to sling extra bottles and often diving with people on air. Size matters as will be going on airplanes. QUOTE]

there are lots of options out there, but if you don;t want to deal with at least one bailout bottle, then you don;t want to dive a CCR..

Onboard bailout is usesless except for the simplest of dives and that assumes you dont have a problem with your diluent reg AND you start each dive with a full diluent bottle.... There is no substitute for independent bailout..

for travelling, believe it or not some of the larger CCRs like the Hammerhead and the meg travel quite well since they can be packed in carry on baggage..

That being sad I have traveled all over the world using a modified inspiration (original case sucks for travel, just get a travel frame)..

The sport kiss is ok for travel.. although it would fit in many carry ons I would put it in checked baggage..

I have owned (or still own) a HH, multiple inspirations, KISS, rEvo, Optima.. I have experience on several other rigs.. These days my firts choice is the HH, closely followed by the rEvo..

Both the HH and the rEvo can be easily used as a mCCR, eCCR or combo of the two..

Thanks for the input. For those traveling are you picking destinations where your scrubber, etc is in stock or are you shipping your own?

I always bring my own. Pour it in gallon ziplock bags tape the MSDS to the outside and never had a problem, though they seem to search my bags everytime. I'll throw in my vote for the rEvo, if your worried about size go for the micro. I dive the mini and I carry it on the plane and put it in the overhead cylinders and all.

See you're in Seattle, doing the demo with Silentscuba? Mel's awesome and the best CCR instructor around, your lucky to be so close.

I usually arrange sodasorb with the dive shop at the destination. Often they can get it for me if they have enough lead time. If not, I will ship it.

Another issue is oxygen. For travel, I use low pressure aluminum 14s for oxygen and diluent. The reason for this is that any shop that fills nitrox via partial pressure blending can give me a good oxygen fill. Most of the remote areas do not have a booster pump for oxygen. There is no need to pump oxygen with AL14s as even if they can give me 1500 psi I can get in a three hour dive.

For the most part I have taken kegs or sodasorb with me to the south pacific, I throw them in a duffle and top off the weight allotment with some durable stuff like fins. I use a scale to get the luggage right up to max allowed and even take it by Fedex to check it with their certified scales. Most of the trips have required carting BO bottles as well, ugh! o2 can be sourced just about anywhere, as it is shipped even to some of the remotest islands for medical use. It's remarkably cheap... bring an analyzer! A trans fill whip gives you a way around having to take a booster. We do cascade fills with three industrial sized LP o2 source bottles and end up with fills between 1500 and 2000 psi. We usually bring an extra o2 bottle for the rigs to help get that 3rd dive of the day in with the lower pressure fills.

For traveling to the south pacific, EVA air offers their "elite class/Evergreen Club", which is easy to sign up for on line and allows one to pay a few hundred extra and get extra leg room and luggage allotment. they allow you to purchase additional luggage allotment for a reasonable fee, last I looked it was about $70 for each 50-60 lb bag... way better than paying overage!

g

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom