Followup to Actual Dir Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Yup ... but I always thought there should be more than two choices.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
To me its just too funny.

The "Anti's" usually are judging the wrong info/people, and the "Pro's" give to much significance to details. DIR isn't really rocket science and the information isn't earth shattering.

Adobo:
The "my problem with DIR" threads consistently get dozens and dozens of posts. And run for weeks on end. If people get enjoyment out that kind of thing, then more power to them. Let's set up a forum or a thread specifically for that purpose.
If you ask pretty please, maybe the mods can put a special flag or asterisk or something on the title of those threads, so you won't repeatedly be sucked into reading and posting in them. :D

All it takes is a tiny bit of situational awareness to realize that the thread isn't one that you wish to read any further. Or maybe you're one of those people that can't avoid looking at the car accident either.

JeffG:

The "Anti's" usually are judging the wrong info/people, and the "Pro's" give to much significance to details. DIR isn't really rocket science and the information isn't earth shattering.

Agreed.

To the OP- you might be surprised at how many people here do have real knowledge of DIR principles. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't post in related threads (myself included) all that often. I can't speak for others, but I know that I don't post because I get tired of correcting the mistakes of the "newly DIRF'd" and/or explaining the minute details again and again and again, ad nauseum.

Charlie99:
If you ask pretty please, maybe the mods can put a special flag or asterisk or something on the title of those threads, so you won't repeatedly be sucked into reading and posting in them. :D

All it takes is a tiny bit of situational awareness to realize that the thread isn't one that you wish to read any further. Or maybe you're one of those people that can't avoid looking at the car accident either.

No problem for me. Most of the times, I can tell the difference. Most of the time.

However, I know of many incredibly bright divers who have quit participating in this forum because it is pretty much a mess. They have questions and perspectives that I personally believe are quite valuable to the "like minded" dive community. Well, I guess there is always those other forums. And what we'll have left here is a just a handful of people with real GUE/WKPP knowledge, newly minted DIRFs and hordes of anti-DIR folks answering questions about what is and what isn't DIR.

Incidentally, I hear swivels are now DIR.

JeffG:

Nor is all the emphasis on gear configuration particularly interesting. People who get all bent about the placement of D-rings or someone else's choice of gauges or fins have really rather missed the point.

Discussions about GUE's approach to dive planning and execution might be a bit more enlightening ... and might even give the non-DIR divers reading these threads some insight into why they should consider taking a class.

But frankly, I get way more of that standing in the parking lot at our local mudhole than I've ever gotten on the Internet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

chickdiver:
Agreed.

To the OP- you might be surprised at how many people here do have real knowledge of DIR principles. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't post in related threads (myself included) all that often. I can't speak for others, but I know that I don't post because I get tired of correcting the mistakes of the "newly DIRF'd" and/or explaining the minute details again and again and again, ad nauseum.

No kidding. I've given up on this place. I don't have that many DIR rec/deco/cave dives (350ish) but whatever experiences I do have to share are lost in the heaps and heaps of garbage. A good number of posters just don't know when to zip it.

rjack321:
No kidding. I've given up on this place. I don't have that many DIR rec/deco/cave dives (350ish) but whatever experiences I do have to share are lost in the heaps and heaps of garbage. A good number of posters just don't know when to zip it.

Exactly:
Experiences and experience are like gold around here.

As far as being tired of answering the noob questions thats a valid point and maybe more people will step up to the plate if the posters with other agendas are herded out of here.

I know a lot of Dir divers here in my area know better than to tread water here, but on the other hand I see a Dir website over seas that seems to run just fine theres no reason that it cant be the same here.

This debate can go on a long time but I have so many dives to make this weekend and through the week that I'm going to give the keyboard a rest and concentrate on upgrading my skill's:D
Maybe I'll get brave and share my experiences..
Henry

FLDVR:
I know a lot of Dir divers here in my area know better than to tread water here, ..............

You got that right.
I for one rather go diving than discussing DIR on SB :D

Data:
You got that right.
I for one rather go diving than discussing DIR on SB :D

I was wondering if you were going to show up:wink:
This should be my last post for a while, I'm in the middle of planning for Sat.Sundays Dives, then Monday on top of that.
See you on the boat!
Everyone have a good weekend!
Henry

MBH:
I know where you're coming from. All the DIR people that I've got to dive with have been super helpful and not a trace of attitude. Quite a bit different from some of the internet divers.

Pretty much.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom