Flying into Tahiti in late Jan for 4 nights, is it worth diving or should skip fly to Rangiroa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
V

Volleyball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In about two weeks found $500 round trip flights from LAX, found several 2BR airbnbs for $100-$125/night and rental cars for $30/night. Two diving couples going who have never been here, searched and was reading a lot but many visited in the summer. Is there's anything to see in Tahiti and where, east, west, north, south? Or should we not even stay in tahiti and pick somewhere like Rangiroa? One issue with Rangiroa is airbnbs are literally three times as much and once you include the increased airfare, it adds a $1000/person to the trip. Looks like everyone recommends TopDive which has a location in Tahiti so the West side has the diving in January? Also TopDive has a location in Rangiroa

I dove with top dive at the intercontinental back in June 2016. Took a two tank charter just off shore from the hotel and it was okay to good. Nothing super memorable, but not a bad experience either.

The diving will be better in the outer islands vs Tahiti itself. It's possible that once you factor in all the costs that staying at a resort vs someone's house, i.e. AirBnB, might be better.

Been to French Polynesia 3x in the last 10 years. The island of Tahiti is pretty but really just a stopover before heading to other islands. Rangiroa has pretty fabulous diving. Our next trip to FP may be just to Rangiroa.

Just got back yesterday. Did 4 tanks Tahiti and 3 in Moorea. In Tahiti on one dive we did see a white tip reef shark (my first), everything else was blah. Strong current along with poor viz didn't help. Moorea, which is connected by ferry to Tahiti, was much better. Was just overall better, saw a lot more including dolphins, black tips and turtles. These turtles were the most friendly, least scared of divers I've experienced, I believe they've been fed. My last 200ish dives were exclusively in warm water mainly in Hawaii and the Caribbean and have dove with many turtles.

We did Tahiti as affordably as possible, fairly cheap flights, airbnb and rental car. We packed snacks in our checked luggage and ate out for all meals. If Tahiti is on your bucket list or you want to stay in an over water bungalow in Bora Bora, go for it. Otherwise, skip it and go to Hawaii

I see you’ve already gone, but for folks in the future who might see this: if you’re in FP skip Tahiti/Moorea for diving and go to Rangiroa or Fakarava. Absolutely incredible diving in the passes - the shark scene from “Our Planet” was filmed in Fakarava, it’s legit.

Four day trip to Tahiti.... Probably the only reason I wish I lived on the West Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom