Flying into Tahiti in late Jan for 4 nights, is it worth diving or should skip fly to Rangiroa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
V

Volleyball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In about two weeks found $500 round trip flights from LAX, found several 2BR airbnbs for $100-$125/night and rental cars for $30/night. Two diving couples going who have never been here, searched and was reading a lot but many visited in the summer. Is there's anything to see in Tahiti and where, east, west, north, south? Or should we not even stay in tahiti and pick somewhere like Rangiroa? One issue with Rangiroa is airbnbs are literally three times as much and once you include the increased airfare, it adds a $1000/person to the trip. Looks like everyone recommends TopDive which has a location in Tahiti so the West side has the diving in January? Also TopDive has a location in Rangiroa

I see you’ve already gone, but for folks in the future who might see this: if you’re in FP skip Tahiti/Moorea for diving and go to Rangiroa or Fakarava. Absolutely incredible diving in the passes - the shark scene from “Our Planet” was filmed in Fakarava, it’s legit.

I saw a fellow divers who was island hopping video from Rangiora, had to have seen 100 black tips. They told me the current is strong but there's a valley at the bottom that is protected from the current and sharks like to hang out there

Edit to add, at the time, our big issue was the flight from Tahiti to Rangiroa was $400, then you have to add baggage fees, expensive lodging and we'd need transportation. Between four of us, our all in Tahiti accommodations (airfare, airbnb, rental and rental fuel) expenses was only $800/person and our overall vacation costs including the Moorea ferry, dives, food, parking, etc was $1400. That made it difficult to justify $500-$1000 more to visit a single island. Having said that, with the benefit of hindsight, we should have not dove in Tahiti. If budget matters, stay in tahiti and take the ferry to Moorea daily to dive, if budget doesn't matter, def visit other islands

Four day trip to Tahiti.... Probably the only reason I wish I lived on the West Coast.

Four NIGHTS 😂 After we landed and left with the rental we drove around and checked out some attractions. We also did some exploring the day of the return flight

I saw a fellow divers who was island hopping video from Rangiora, had to have seen 100 black tips. They told me the current is strong but there's a valley at the bottom that is protected from the current and sharks like to hang out there

Yep, we dove the Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa a few times on the incoming tide, and some more sheltered areas around the pass when the tide wasn’t right. When the tide comes in, the water rips through that pass into the lagoon - it’s a very fun dive. Depending on experience and comfort level, you can shoot through the middle of the pass or stay near the sides where the current is less intense.

I’ve never seen so many sharks in my life as in those drift dives through the pass - huge aggregations of black tips, but also dozens of sharks of other species too. Sharks everywhere you looked, absolutely incredible experience.

The other cool thing about Tiputa Pass is the dolphins - they are used to/curious about divers and not shy. I had a mom & baby swim up to check me out on one of the non-drift dives outside the pass. They went vertical and were like five feet away, just looking at me. Very cool/weird feeling to have wild creatures looking at you so intently and making eye contact!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom