Flooding mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my wife first got certified, her mask started leaking after about 10 dives or so. It was fine during classes.

Couldn’t find anything and nothing made sense. Finally, just to eliminate something, I suggested she ditch the snorkel. Instantly, her mask quit leaking.

Apparently, it had been tugging on the strap and breaking the seal while it was flopping around during the dive. She hasn’t worn a snorkel since.

I've mentioned this already several times on SB and I'll say again: masks do not leak because water can get in, they leak because air can get out. So do not concentrate on the hair that grows under your nose and think about the wrinkles on your forehead, etc.

For a period of time, I was struggling with what had been my faithful old mask. Eventually I realized that it had to do with a misplacement of the mask strap. Once I found the sweet spot, I've rarely had anymore problems.

I've mentioned this already several times on SB and I'll say again: masks do not leak because water can get in, they leak because air can get out. So do not concentrate on the hair that grows under your nose and think about the wrinkles on your forehead, etc.
Hey, I really resemble that remark!

Hi
I just did my first live aboard and my mask which has been fine all this while Started flooding after the first 3 days. At first I thought it might be because my stubble had grown and had a shave. But the problem still continued and I had to deal with it for the rest of the trip. Any ideas on why this happened considering that I’ve been diving with this mask and had no problems so far. Including the first 3 days of the very same trip
Thanks

I'll take a guess. SUNSCREEN and slip n slide mask seal

If I don't shave on dive day, my mask will leak - a lot. I always shave on dive day.

I exhale frequently thru my nose to keep from getting a mask squeeze. Most of that exhaust goes out around the outside corner of the eyes since I'm face down. The mask strap is also pulling the mask towards my face, so there's less pressure on the side, which means a weaker seal. Anyway, my mask does leak above the lip area if I don't shave, regardless where the excess pressure escapes.

If I don't shave on dive day, my mask will leak - a lot. I always shave on dive day.

I exhale frequently thru my nose to keep from getting a mask squeeze. Most of that exhaust goes out around the outside corner of the eyes since I'm face down. The mask strap is also pulling the mask towards my face, so there's less pressure on the side, which means a weaker seal. Anyway, my mask does leak above the lip area if I don't shave, regardless where the excess pressure escapes.
And I do not shave at all. So why my mask does not leak, nor do I get mask squeeze?
(as a disclaimer, I got a mask squeeze once but I was snorkeling)

Everyone’s different...

———

I remember talking to a diver that had large beard and I asked him how he kept his mask from leaking. He said he didn’t do anything and never had a problem.

Then, another diver chimed in asking another question and, while I was standing right there, he told the other diver that he had to put vaseline on his mustache, otherwise his mask would leak horribly.

So I guess it depends on how the question is phrased sometimes.

Everyone’s different...

———

I remember talking to a diver that had large beard and I asked him how he kept his mask from leaking. He said he didn’t do anything and never had a problem.

Then, another diver chimed in asking another question and, while I was standing right there, he told the other diver that he had to put vaseline on his mustache, otherwise his mask would leak horribly.

So I guess it depends on how the question is phrased sometimes.
I do not use vaseline anywhere. I solved the problem once and for all by picking up masks with skirts that fit my forehead above the vertical wrinkle I have between my eyebrows. That's it.

For a period of time, I was struggling with what had been my faithful old mask. Eventually I realized that it had to do with a misplacement of the mask strap. Once I found the sweet spot, I've rarely had anymore problems.
I fully agree with this. Once after many dives with a leaky mask I slightly altered the position of the mask strap and problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom