flooded Petrel 2 - just a small data point for Shearwater fans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have posted this little data point in one of the many threads praising the toughness of the Shearwater Petrel and its successor, the Perdix, but this is easier. Apparently, this Petrel 2 was struck against some hard surface--maybe it contacted a rock on a shore dive--in just the wrong place, leaving a tiny nick or chip at the rim of the battery compartment, where the battery compartment plug is flush with the case after screwing it in. It wasn't even noticeable until later inspection. A tiny nick or chip. Perhaps that spot is its Achilles Heel. Due to the chamfer or rounded end of the battery compartment, the case does appear to be thinner there. Ironically, in some previous thread I asserted that the Petrel is "built like a tank." Well, perhaps not quite. The Shearwater U.S. repair center informs me that the computer is dead, with a repair estimate of US$400. I still believe Shearwater makes a great computer. Time for a Perdix, it seems.

Did the nick/chip allow water directly in? Or did it cause the O-ring to get damaged when installing the battery compartment plug?

Ah, this thread. Thanks for reminding me. The battery compartment had not been opened prior to the flood. It was working fine for a number of dives, and then suddenly on one dive it flooded. It wasn't clear what the computer struck, but it must have struck something sharp, as there was a small nick visible on later inspection. (The service tech theorized it had been "dropped," but it absolutely had not.) As far as I can determine, the apparent impact on the rim of the battery compartment somehow allowed water to seep in past the o-ring. An unlucky strike at just the right angle on what may be the most vulnerable part. I wish I had taken a pic, but I sent it off immediately.

- - - - -

The good news is that Shearwater service is prompt and responsive. The US service center guy was available to speak with on the phone. That's right: not just a human being but apparently the very guy who repaired the unit. Try that with Suunto! The day he looked at it, I received an estimate, and after payment via Paypal, he repaired it and said he mailed it off yesterday. He said the damaged case has been replaced with one from a "demo" Petrel. I guess that's as good as new.

I flooded my Petrel 2 as well... Its was a pretty new unit at the time...only about 40 dives.

While diving at 260 feet I glanced at it and noticed the screen had changed to the compass...but I had not switched it to compass.
I then tried to switch it to regular screen, but the button was not working.
The display seemed to show the other data points correctly (depth, time, etc).

Then when I got to the first gas switch, I could not use the buttons to switch gases.
I then realized it was pretty much toast, so I continued using the written schedule and backup timer.

Cause?
Apparently the o-ring on the pressure sensor leaked salt water into the Petrel.

What was the outcome? Seems like a manufacturing defect? Cheers.,

Lost two petrel before, Both were flooded due to the corner of faceplate was broken. The first one was replaced for free and the second one was asked $400 for repair. I try to as whether they can provide another option like pay for upgrade but they didn't brother to reply.

The one has been replaced also have something inside the screw hole after one and half year with 380+ logs. I send it back to sw, they said nothing is wrong with this one. But to any petrel have similar symptom. Perhaps it's better to get it changed before anything bad happen.

P.S In my case, Two Petrel were both flooded after two years usage with 400+ logs. I don't know if this is just coincidence.

image002.jpg
image001.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Predator that started going through batteries in about a week and I sent it into Shearwater. They replaced the board on it at no cost, and the turn around time was about a week. I still have it and it's now the SA back up to my Fischer Ported CCR Petrel.

My impression is that Shearwater will cover the repair cost for things that are their fault (faulty board, etc) but will charge you for the repair when the failure is the result of damage or abuse that is beyond their control. That seems very fair and reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom