flooded Petrel 2 - just a small data point for Shearwater fans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, after at first thinking I might as well get a nearly new Perdix for only another $200 or so, after sleeping on it I have decided to pay the estimated $400 to repair the Petrel 2 and save the additional money for other things.

So, after at first thinking I might as well get a nearly new Perdix for only another $200 or so, after sleeping on it I have decided to pay the estimated $400 to repair the Petrel 2 and save the additional money for other things.
Did the crack allow water into the battery compartment or did it allow water directly into the body? If it allowed water into the battery compartment, I wonder if the double O-Ring seal on the the Perdix would have prevented the failure?

Last edited:
and you likely can sell the (essentially new) Petrel2 for more than the $400....

Not to change the topic, but is the battery compartment of the Perdix sealed? I thought I saw somewhere that even if the o-ring fails it should just flood the battery compartment and not the entire computer.

Did the crack allow water into the battery compartment or did it allow water directly into the body? If it allowed water into the battery compartment, I wonder id the double O-Ring seal on the the Perdix would have prevented the failure?

I don't know the answer.

Not to change the topic, but is the battery compartment of the Perdix sealed? I thought I saw somewhere that even if the o-ring fails it should just flood the battery compartment and not the entire computer.
I was also under this impression and it would be nice if someone could clarify this point.

No, the battery is not in a separate sealed compartment. If you flood the battery compartment, you will flood the computer.

Bruce

No, the battery is not in a separate sealed compartment. If you flood the battery compartment, you will flood the computer.

Bruce

This is the first serious flaw I see with the SW computers. All of my other less expensive computers their battery compartments are sealed and flooding them doesn't cause harm to the rest of the computer. I am surprised that SW doesn't have this features.

This is the first serious flaw I see with the SW computers. All of my other less expensive computers their battery compartments are sealed and flooding them doesn't cause harm to the rest of the computer. I am surprised that SW doesn't have this features.
The Perdix is rated to 260M/850Ft. Providing a similar pressure chamber inside the primary pressure chamber would impact the design significantly. All designs are a compromise.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom