Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartianBeerPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just tried out my new drysuit and all is going well so.

But, my feet still feel a bit floaty. I tried ankle weights, which helped....but I'm still not entirely comfortable.

I'm going to move some of my weight out of my integrated BCD and onto a belt so I can sling it lower on my body. I'm also looking at trying out gaiters to see if I can stop some of the air heading to my toes.

Any other techniques I can try?

Chances are, the gaiters will be the cat's meow.

Fortunately, with my undies on, and the cut of the suit, I don't have too many issues with too much air migrating to the legs and feet.

the K

When I tried drysuit diving locally, TSandM suggested fin keepers and they worked well. Probably cheaper than gaiters, too. :wink:

Welcome to Vancouver, BTW. :)

I'm going to move some of my weight out of my integrated BCD and onto a belt so I can sling it lower on my body.

If you are going to drop a belt below your natural hips please get something like a DUI harness so you can position your weight safely.

Are you wearing a calf mounted dive knife? If so consider putting an extra strap down on the other leg to form a quasi gaitor. It won't prevent expansion but it will slow air movement.

Fin keepers (Trident Triangles) can also help restrict boot bloom.

Pete

If you are going to drop a belt below your natural hips please get something like a DUI harness so you can position your weight safely.

Are you wearing a calf mounted dive knife? If so consider putting an extra strap down on the other leg to form a quasi gaitor. It won't prevent expansion but it will slow air movement.

Fin keepers (Trident Triangles) can also help restrict boot bloom.

Pete

I didn't intend to drop the weights below my hips. My BCD rides fairly high on my torso which works well for me in a wetsuit. The drysuit is a different story so I'm relearning my bouyancy.

Have you tried your suit below 25 feet? I ask because when my suit was new (250 dives back) I worked on weighting and trim in the pool and found I needed ankle weights to get relaxed horiz. trim--but that was at 10 feet. On actual dives, I found that trim improved with depth, so I stopped using ankle weights.

-Bryan

Have you tried your suit below 25 feet? I ask because when my suit was new (250 dives back) I worked on weighting and trim in the pool and found I needed ankle weights to get relaxed horiz. trim--but that was at 10 feet. On actual dives, I found that trim improved with depth, so I stopped using ankle weights.

-Bryan

Yes, the dives have all been below 25'. It's not so bad below that. I had quite a bit of trouble staying vertical at the safety stop.

Anyway, a few tips here to try out. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom