Drysuit Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suricatasuricata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I have a BARE custom drysuit with tech boots (basically 3mm crushed neoprene boots). Annoyingly enough I am a size 10.5 and BARE only has size 10 or size 11 options. My shop installed size 11 boots on them.

I am in the process of going through Fundamentals and we found that I am having trim issues which are exacerbated by floaty feet. This persists even with me using Fin Keepers and Jet Fins XL. This is with me wearing liner socks and one mid layer of socks. I still haven't tried angle gaiters yet, but that is going to be an $80 experiment and I am not sure whether it will do better than whatever I have currently in the boots as straps.

I am going to have to ship this suit to someone to get pockets installed anyways. It might be hard for me to get the (DUI) boots that my instructor uses installed on my suit. But in general, I wanted some thoughts on the following choices:

1. Size down on neoprene boots to a size 10.

2. Get Neoprene socks appropriately sized one and wear VANS or rock boots. I am guessing that either will help counteract the negative buoyancy issues.

3. ??? Alternate choice that I am aware of?

Thanks!

Lead is currently at the hips close to the D-Ring. I haven't tried ankle weights, my instructor pointed out that it will make it harder for me to do some of the kicks.

I started out with 1lb ankle weights when I was using my DUI TLX350 drysuit and Scuba Pro Nova fins. I started using a rubberized freediving weight belt to help mitigate airflow into my feet. This helped me get rid of my ankle weights. I still use the freediving belt with zero issues.

I always used ankle weights. It might not take much. If I recall, I was using 2lbs per ankle with a DUI CF200 suit.
This was exactly what I did with my DUI CF200 suit as well

In terms of boot replacement, are there some choices that will do better than others? e.g. socks vs sizing down on neoprene boots?

What are you using for gear? Single tank, doubles? What tanks? Unless the boots are oversized and trapping too much air, the style of boot isn't a concern. I did fundies wearing a suit with rubber fishing galoshes glued to the legs. Literally.

Currently on a Singles using a Halcyon Steel Backplate + STA + 30 lb Evolve Wing, a Steel HP100. Regulators are Dive Rite XT1/XT4. Standard long hose configuration. Fins are XL Jet fins. Weights on one trim pockets and a weighted lead rod as a hose keeper on the other side.
The suit is a trilam suit and I am using the BARE SB system mid layer.

So the boots are not oversized, but there is room for my feet to slide a bit (like half an inch or .75 inches). Although, it is not as much of an issue with the Jet fins on. I had a lot of issues out in the ocean with managing my trim because my feet kept floating up (which was confusing to me because I had the heaviest fins I've ever used). In the pool, I went up a couple of times leg up from 10' which was not fun but not a deal breaker in a pool.

I only had just enough gas in the suit to prevent squeeze, so definitely not using the suit as a compensating device. I tried powering through a couple of dives in Monterey without inflating the suit at all, I either got cold or uncomfortable so that is not a sustainable option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom