Flexible Dive vehicle for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honda Element is a PERFECT dive vehicle...The liftgate is at butt-height. My sister has one.

I use an old Isuzu Trooper now.

My FJ Cruiser ( Toyota) has a nice height tailgate for donning doubles. Not sure if you'd be interested in this type of vehicle but we've had excellent luck with it. It has 85K miles with absolutely nothing wrong with it. It pulls a small dive trailer with no troubles and you can also put a luggage rack on the top if desired. It's a true 4X4, rather than a faux 4 wheeler, has plastic interior designed to get wet and muddy, hose down the interior and go.
I love it for diving, dogs and farm work. Plus, I love the flashy, cute colors and thoughtful design touches. Its really my favorite vehicle, ever.

I drove an FJ for awhile...hated it. Trunk is to small, and the small backseat is a pain to get in/out of. It was a decent off-road vehicle though.

My Element's got about 203,000 miles on it ... I've been using it as a dive vehicle for nearly 10 years. I'm on my third tailgate, and this one's so rusted now that I can't open it anymore. I decided not to fix it this time, since I'll be in the market for a new divemobile in a couple months. Can't complain though ... I definitely got my money's worth out of this one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I finally finished the tank rack/shelf/table and mounted the Charging station. It was getting dark, so this is the only picture that came out:

chargingstation15.jpg
[/img]

I drove an FJ for awhile...hated it. Trunk is to small, and the small backseat is a pain to get in/out of. It was a decent off-road vehicle though.
Funny! It's been my favorite vehicle, ever.

---------- Post added December 19th, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

I'm waiting for nwcid to come in here and show you guys his Ford F350 and the 30-foot dive shop he tows behind it. A bitch to park, but talk about mobile facilities! He hasn't installed a fill station yet, but he's working on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I have a dually, diesel F350. Even though its 4WD, it's not real great on loose dirt and mud. I would not consider it a great dive vehicle.
Pulls my horse trailer like a dream,though!

I too have a Honda Element for local diving and semi-local trips, and it's a good compromise if you also want a car for driving around town. Rear seats come out easily (they are stored in the attic), no exposed rails, no carpeting. I can walk around in there and I can kit up on the tailgate. No worries about tossing wet gear in for the drive back.

It's also nice to be able to lock up the gear overnight, as opposed to my previous pickup truck (no bed cover).

If I have a lot of stuff to carry and tow the boat, I take the Tacoma, if it is just me and the destination horizon is unknown, I take the Jeep:

P6280650_zps5f785e2c.jpg

It has a Yakima rack system for expeditions, a locking box that goes in the rear, tanks go on the side of that and gear on an internal rack. It got attacked by a griz last summer but the Jeep won. It did need a new flare set since I think the griz ate them.

N

A lot of folks here dive with some form of crossover including me (Forester). I dove out of a PT Cruiser which was sweet as well. We have 2 Sprinter vans that come by and seem to support diving, but also shelter after dives for debrief. Most everyone has their system, and likely you'd develop one as well. Measure the cargo space you need, then go shopping!

Funny! It's been my favorite vehicle, ever.

Mmm wait until you come over a sand dune that is too steep at the bottom and have a slight bump. Absence of the B pillar can result in no operating doors and you have to climb out the rear because these side windows are too small.

My preference is always a Land Rover, but I hate tailgates

Normal trips: Fiat Abarth. (Or regular, but not as fun!)
In the boot: double 119s, two 40 stages, fins, wing, regs
Belted on the rear seat: milk crate of all the other gear, dry suit
Wedged in front of that: Home Depot X-horse folding table (the red&black ones) and spare tire/wheel.
If needed I can secure a second set of doubles on the backseat (using the seatbelt, etc)

For bigger trips, well, Zipcar rents pickups and large wagons!

My record for the Fiat was three divers (four single tanks) with gear for two days including lite camping gear and food. (Dutch Springs)
But I cheated by using a roof rack cargo box for all the lighter gear.

Back
Top Bottom