Flexible Dive vehicle for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Audi station wagon, which works extremely well for diving (doubles or otherwise) and is also a very comfortable passenger vehicle with good gas mileage. Unfortunately, they don't make the exact car I have any more, but they have a similar replacement.

I currently have an Audi Q5 and a Q7. Although smaller, the Q5 works out perfectly for two sets of doubles, an 80cf stage, a 40cf 02 bottle, large Rubbermaid tote, drysuit bag, undergarment bag, etc. Everything for a full day of diving fits, no problem. I'm a bit taller than Lynn at 6'2" so the floor height of the Q5 serves me better in terms of gearing up right in the back of the vehicle - set tanks up, don scuba unit, walk away. Perfect when diving at our local training quarry.

Previous A6-based Allroad had plenty of room (I'm guess that's what Lynn is referencing) but the back was too low for me to gear up right out of the car. Before I was diver I had an S6 Avant... and I'm waiting for them to bring the RS6 Avant back to the US. The floor might be too low, but who wouldn't want a 560bhp twin-turbo powered German station wagon...

2014-Audi-RS6-Avant-side-going-fast-on-track-1024x640.jpg

I have an A4 Avant. I wish they would make them again. I can get full technical gear for two divers, including scooters, in my car.

The Jetta wagon I believe is still available, and it's slightly bigger and a little higher than the Audi, but is the same basic car.

I have a Jetta TDI wagon and it is great for doubles. I can carry two full sets plus ancillary gear with ease! The TDI part is more relevant than it may seem - plenty of torque :wink:

On that note tank position is critical, always position the valves so that in a rear end collision the tanks will be propelled away from your car and at the A-hole that hit you.

The other thing that is useful is a cargo bar like these Truck Bed Cargo Bars, Truck Load Holding Bars

I put my tanks back against my tailgate, valves to the cab and bar placed to stop front / back movement. I place weights and other gear to the sides to stop rolling, but the floor ribs help as well.

These cargo bars are great for ANY vehicle to hold things in place - trucks, vans, wagons. I actually have two.

My dive vehicle is a GMC Canyon crew 4x4.

I have an A4 Avant. I wish they would make them again. I can get full technical gear for two divers, including scooters, in my car.

The Jetta wagon I believe is still available, and it's slightly bigger and a little higher than the Audi, but is the same basic car.

The new A4-based Allroad is nice. It's existence is why assumed you had an A6, since they still do essentially make an A4 Avant. A tad underpowered with the 2.0t which is why I went with the Q5. Tempted to wait for the SQ5...

Not sure you get them in the States, but these 'mini' vans we get here are great!

Like these:

Renault Kangoo
Citroen Berlingo

Loads of room in the back, a nice height to sit on and both doors open for sliding gear in and out.

Not sure you get them in the States, but these 'mini' vans we get here are great!

Like these:

Renault Kangoo
Citroen Berlingo

Loads of room in the back, a nice height to sit on and both doors open for sliding gear in and out.

Renault, Citroen,, Peugeot, etc all vacated US market years ago.

I know many technical divers that use Prius'. I have put a Gavin long body, and a Mako scooter, along with two sets of doubles, 2 HP130's, 2 HP120's, and the rest of our dive gear including drysuits. I scoff at any vehicle that gets under 40 mpg when the new Prius' are getting over 50 mpg just driving them.

Of course many people would rather support the oil companies...

I know many technical divers that use Prius'. I have put a Gavin long body, and a Mako scooter, along with two sets of doubles, 2 HP130's, 2 HP120's, and the rest of our dive gear including drysuits. I scoff at any vehicle that gets under 40 mpg when the new Prius' are getting over 50 mpg just driving them.

Of course many people would rather support the oil companies...

What do you burn in that outboard in your avatar? I like real cars and pay the price. The oil companies are going to be around a lot longer than the Prius'. They provide a product that we all buy and use.

The Subaru Outback has fold down rear seats so there is plenty of room for 2 divers and all their gear. It will also take 1/2 sheets of plywood.

Chevy Equinox crossover AWD SUV -has a good low liftover measurement of around 22 to 24 inches, from the ground to the bumper & payload space. You can "hang clean" a set of doubles to load, instead of a more strenuous front squat technique for higher liftover vehicles like tail-gated full size pickup trucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom