Flexible Dive vehicle for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's actually one of the reasons I like my Audi -- I can lift a set of doubles into it; the extra height of our Tacoma tailgate means I have to have help to get them in.

Scubacaaah!.............. 1800.jpg

"It goes under water and flies in the air"

... I don't think I've ever seen a diver working from a [mini-]van. That being said, it seems like they actually have the potential to be amazing dive vehicles. No well in the trunk, AWD possible, space to sleep if you take out the seats. Put on the Drysuit in running A/C (Thermals for 2 hrs @ 40F is brutal in the summertime), Oddly, I haven't found many references to them as dive vehicles, and other posts I found here on SB start with a prohibition against minivans. Since I've never seen someone dive from one I wasn't sure if that was aesthetic or what. ...

R80,

Although I haven't dived doubles in quite some time, I purchased our mini-van (2003 Honda Odyssey, purchased in 2002) while I still was diving them occasionally. In post #28 in the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/375610-wing-hp-80-a.html, I wrote briefly about my surprise/delight at how well my minivan served the role as a dive vehicle. It easily and comfortably packs gear for two (possibly more) technical divers going for a weekend of diving and tent camping--even with the middle-row seats in place and kept free of stuff (but with the third-row seats folded down). And it accommodates dressing into and out of doubles very nicely. And, fully loaded, it averages 25 mpg highway. And, it's a Honda!

Safe Diving,

Ronald

Wow. I can't believe no one brought up a Sprinter by Mercedes Benz. I loved my Ridgeline, but now that it's gone, I wanted something with more room. A lot more room. It was a reefer for delivering produce so it's completely encased in fiberglass with drain holes at the front. I have built a tank rack that can hold 20 tanks. 14 horizontal, including 4 ponies, and 6 vertical. I have also installed two tool boxes and additional storage. I've still got to install the table, and I've built a switched charging station which also has to be installed. It will handle fifteen amps and will switch over to external power, turning off the inverter when plugged in. Here are some pics;

Sprinter_4_.JPG

Sprinter_1_.JPG

Sprinter_2_.JPG

Sprinter_3_.JPG

chargingstation09.jpg

chargingstation14.jpg

As I am looking at these pics, I realize that they are not up to date. I've installed one of the shelves, painted the structure in marine epoxy and taken out the hanging bar. I am finishing up painting the top and will take more pics after I install it and the inverter/switched charging station. I haven't figured out how to hold the batteries yet. The point is to be able to start everything charging and not have to traipse it into and out of where ever I am staying in Cave Country. I might even add a trickle charger as well for when the vehicle is connected to external power.

BTW, did I mention that I'm getting about 24 miles to the gallon?

I'm thikning aobut upgrading my divemobile from a well-used 4-door sedan to a new(er) vehicle. It seems like a truck is the gold standard for getting doubles on and off directly from the vehicle, but I'm wondering what other types work well, especially with other benefits? For instance, in a (mini)van you can remove the back seats and sleep in it... but I'm not sure if the tailgate is high enough to don/doff doubles.

Thoughts?
The Toyota FJ makes a great dive vehicle. Reliable, 4WD, washable interior. No tailgate but you can use the back end to put doubles on. It's pretty high.

I was "this close" to buying a BMW X5 Diesel, but as a telecommuter (driving mainly to dive, gym, grocery store) I decided against it. I ended up with a new Subaru Outback. I like it well enough, and it does a really good job hauling gear. It's high enough to gear up on if I need to. I can use the savings from not buying the X5 to take another trip every year, which is definitely good. Life experiences > material things.

Wow. I can't believe no one brought up a Sprinter by Mercedes Benz.

NetDoc,

I've actually wondered about the Sprinter Van! I'm aware that there are several flavors of Sprinter Van, some longer than others, and some taller than others, and some with a dual rear axle, I think, but all having a Mercedes turbo diesel. Which flavor do you have? And if you had it to do again, would you choose a different flavor? Thanks in advance.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I went with the short wheel base but tall roof. With the 6 inches of insulation, I just have to bend my head a bit when I am in the van. I did install a rear view cam next to the third brake light, a Garmin 7 inch GPS, an XM stereo and added more charging in the front cabin. It's a 2004 with just over 200,000 miles on it, so it needs some work. I've replaced two tires, an EGR valve, the cabin filter, synthetic oil, the front head lights and a few other details. I have front control arms, Outer Tie Rod Ends, McPherson Struts, rear shocks, a towing receiver and some more cargo area work to accomplish. Heck, I was a mechanic/service manager for thirty years, so it's not that bad and a lot cheaper than having others do it.

I'm waiting for nwcid to come in here and show you guys his Ford F350 and the 30-foot dive shop he tows behind it. A bitch to park, but talk about mobile facilities! He hasn't installed a fill station yet, but he's working on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom