Flavored Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had bleach flavored air when I didn't rinse the regs well enough. Fortunately there was water nearby! :D

Interesting concept. Flavor the air based on it's content. Would make it very noticable if you switched to the wrong bottle at depth.

Comrade Stroke

sam miller:
Good gosh!

Some one actually read my column "The way it was.." in Discover diving and recalled its contents..
It was from an article about Bob Retherford who developed "The sea Sabre signaling system" in 1953--he also owned a dive shop The Aquatic Center in Newport Beach California which featured flavored air.

When chaging filters he always placed a drop or two of flavoring into the filtering system...Mint was the favorite...

Never work today--some one would find an excuse to sue or complain bitterly on the Scuba Board....

Yes it did happen and could happen...

SDM

I'm glad someone had actually heard of this before... i was starting to get worried i was just going to make a fool out of myself with this thread.

It is I who thanks you...

As an author it is encouraging that some one, some where, reads and remembers your work. I note your age and experience so I would question if you actually read the article from a 15 year old defunct magazine but I some how am assured that you have discussed the flavored air with you associates. Now you know the rest of the story...

It is interesting to me and others of the first generation who are challenged by late model tube sucking bubble blowers on events, activties, products,etc...they apparently are the world's greatest diving historians-they can comment on any subject with great authority after a short diving course and only 25 dives...So refreshing to have a person like you with the ability to ask an intelligent question--keep it up!

As I enter my 8th decade of life and almost 7 decades of diving I am comforted that there are divers like you at the gate..

Cheers from California --where it all began

SDM

Maybe the pina without the colada??........That would be my vote...I've got a sweet tooth......

fire_diver:
Interesting concept. Flavor the air based on it's content. Would make it very noticable if you switched to the wrong bottle at depth.

Comrade Stroke
I'd like to make 100% O2 cinnamon flavour, because its kind of a hot flavour. Air can be peppermint, the coolest of the flavors.

I don't see why it couldn't be safely implemented for diving.

It kind of makes sense to use for gas switches, but there are those that would argue that it could be dangerous.

But really, if someone started selling that gimmick, I'd be first in line to start using it on my recreational dives. :D

sam miller:
G
Some one actually read my column "The way it was.." in Discover diving and recalled its contents..
It was from an article about Bob Retherford who developed "The sea Sabre signaling system" in 1953--he also owned a dive shop The Aquatic Center in Newport Beach California which featured flavored air.

You've peaked my interest. Is this article available online somewhere?

Discover Diving was purchased by SDM when they had the big aquisitions of several national magazines to aquire mailing list prior to selling ..SDM did not continue the publication of Discover Diving. SDM has been sold several times since (2 or 3 times.)

It was about 15 years ago--I seriously doubt if a copy can be located but if you do please PM.

I have copies some where but have been writting and publishing since early 1960 and a copy would be next to impossible to locate.

I wish you good luck in your search!

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom