Flavored Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brdr882

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard about this before but it seems like its something that happened a long time ago (>20years). Why was it done, why isn't it done anymore, how did it really taste? I searched around and couldn't find any other posts on it.

The flavor of the air depends on what color mesh and bootie you put the tank in. My friends yellow meshed tanks taste like bananas.

Also, you need the PADI specialty to dive flavored air.

Just put a couple of Eclipse mints in your mouth, on the sides. Voila! Flavored air!

brdr882:
I've heard about this before but it seems like its something that happened a long time ago (>20years). Why was it done, why isn't it done anymore, how did it really taste? I searched around and couldn't find any other posts on it.

Yeah, it comes in Rust or Carbon Monoxide flavors.

Flavored air is what you breathe when you help your dive buddy unzip his drysuit after he had underwater flatulation.

Leejnd:
Flavored air is what you breathe when you help your dive buddy unzip his drysuit after he had underwater flatulation.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You're probably thinking about the "oxygen bars" that popped up about ten years ago. Some didn't serve pure O2; they used nitrox. The O2 bars offered various flavors. Last time I was in Vegas and visited the Stratosphere, there was an O2 bar still operating in the shops. This article discusses the O2 bars.

Good gosh!

Some one actually read my column "The way it was.." in Discover diving and recalled its contents..
It was from an article about Bob Retherford who developed "The sea Sabre signaling system" in 1953--he also owned a dive shop The Aquatic Center in Newport Beach California which featured flavored air.

When chaging filters he always placed a drop or two of flavoring into the filtering system...Mint was the favorite...

Never work today--some one would find an excuse to sue or complain bitterly on the Scuba Board....

Yes it did happen and could happen...

SDM

Quite interesting. It was gone long before I was around, apparently, and I don't know whether flavored nitrox would be a good idea, but I've experienced a little of what it must have tasted like. I cleaned my regs and went over the second stages with a toothbrush and mouthwash, and the next weekend's diving was actually quite minty and delicious. (It beat the "you've been out of the water for a month" flavor I would have had when I got back from Japan. :D)

Stand by the compressor intake filter after a trip to Taco Bell. Might be a kuel joke for your dive buddy. :D

Any odor that can get through the filter will get into your tanks. Exhaust, oil, gas or what ever can flavor the air inside. A good fill should have no taste at all period.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom