Flash questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a DC500 with two SL960 external flashes. While the photos I have taken are okay they are not what I expected. I am wondering if upgrading to the the new digital pro flash will result in better photos. 50 % of the times the photos are under exposed and dark. I usually get within 5 feet of the subject when I take a photo. Any info or advice is appreciated.

I have a DC500 with two SL960 external flashes. While the photos I have taken are okay they are not what I expected. I am wondering if upgrading to the the new digital pro flash will result in better photos. 50 % of the times the photos are under exposed and dark. I usually get within 5 feet of the subject when I take a photo. Any info or advice is appreciated.
That doesn't sound right at all. Are you allowing time for the capacitors to recharge before firing? If your answer is other than "absolutely," that could well be the problem. Since digtial shooting has no cost once you own the hardware and rechargeable batteries, some of us shoot shoot shoot then look to see what we got - and over shoot the capacitors. Many of my cenote pics come out black because I am so excited about shooting.

You didn't describe your settings so I presume you leave them all on Auto? If you have both strobes aimed at target and firing okay, I'd think you'd have it very well lit within 5 ft?

There are setting changes you could try...
  • Set White Balance on Cloudy - a popular setting I like;
  • ISO settings, but I seem to screw that up so I'm not going to try to explain;
  • Increase flash settings which are adjustable when you're on External Flash mode.
I just noticed I had my Ext Flash on Macro. :shocked2: Maybe that's how I screwed up my ISO last weekend? N, M, or F will show on screen next to the Ext Flash icon. Try it on F and make sure you have a red or orange glow on each capacitor before shooting. I just use one 960 and sometimes overflash a light colored target.

Dandy Don,

Thanks for the information. As a general rule I always wait until the strobes recycle and the lights come on. I have had my setting on auto, but I will try the settings you suggest. Are you using the SL960 or the 961 digital flash units? (the black rectangular shaped head)

Dandy Don,

Thanks for the information. As a general rule I always wait until the strobes recycle and the lights come on. I have had my setting on auto, but I will try the settings you suggest. Are you using the SL960 or the 961 digital flash units? (the black rectangular shaped head)
I just use one 960 and sometimes overflash a light colored target.
sl960.jpg
But added the Flash link, had the reflector remove and the arm adapted to fit the DC500 - as I suppose you have.

My problems with ISO last weekend were in a darkish, bell bottom spring so I was trying higher ISO settings to see how much more light but with more "noise" I got, but I guess I had my Ext Flash set on Macro even tho seldom less than 2 ft from target. Damn. :depressed:

On a white reef, with all auto settings, I'll overflash even from 3 ft. I hope to figure this out someday. :silly: Where have you been shooting that you get dark pics?

I suspect that your "general rule I always wait until the strobes recycle" statement may mean that you sometimes don't. Anyway, two 960 Ext Flashes should give you a lot of flash, so try Cloudy white balance, F for Ext Flash setting, and even 200 ISO and see how much whiter the pics come out. I bet you overflash and have to trim back.

What do you do with your pics after download? I use Free Adobe Elements 3.2, run them thru on Auto Fix, then try again with manual Fix on each one in comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom