Fixed/Rigid Ds vs Floppy Ds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bald Wookie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi team,

I’m currently thinking about changing the waist Ds I run (classic D and retainer) for rigid Ds set at a 45* angle.

Are there any drawbacks here I might have missed? Other than potential snag hazards (which I think are negligible, plus I’m not doing caves).

Main reason for switch is I occasionally find with dry gloves and under gloves I’m having difficulty manipulating the bolt snap onto the floppy D when I’m down clipping a tank.

Thoughts welcome! Thanks!

What do you mean by Classic D and retainer? Can you post an image? Are you referencing AL80 and similar lightweight cylinders? Which bungee system up top? Which boltsnaps and which size d rings?

Lots of factors, but a pair of half sized fixed d rings or a small sliding d ring, when paired with the correct size and type boltsnap should make this a trivial concern.

My current setup is an X-Deep Tec 2.0. For the waist Ds right now I use what I would call a typical "Fixed" d-ring setup (2 on each side):
1685562456913.png

2 Inch webbing, 5mm Ds. Bolt snap is a large style for my dry gloves. I have no problem manipulating the snap, but the D annoys me. Its not so huge that its an "I cant stand this" type of problem, but more of a "how can I make a quality of life improvement here without loosing an essential skill"

For cylinders I an using Steel 72s, so yes, essentially similar to an AL80.

Bungee System is:
1685562561621.png

I am considering switching to something like:
1685562639097.png

but more likely a one-piece item similar to what SUMPUK or PiranhaDive sells.

Pictures = 1000 words

I would try putting half sized d rings at each of those spots and then running a large oring around one or both on each side such that they cannot “stick” flat to the harness. If you’re using stage or deco bottles and cross clipping (lower bottle to ring closer to lumbar, main bottle to front closer to waist buckle), the will likely not sit properly with the fixed in one direction rings. That said, it’s only a $30 experiment or similar.

I’m having difficulty manipulating the bolt snap onto the floppy D when I’m down clipping a tank.
Not knowing your process it's difficult to say, but I locate the ring with an index finger first. A slight wrist flex is all I need from there to hook it with the boltsnap. I started doing that after accidentally clipping to another boltsnap that was present when trying to find/hook the ring directly with the boltsnap. "Seeing" with my fingers helps me enormously.

(I also use some inner tube to keep the ring from laying completely flat.)

Hi team,rings

I’m currently thinking about changing the waist Ds I run (classic D and retainer) for rigid Ds set at a 45* angle.

Are there any drawbacks here I might have missed? Other than potential snag hazards (which I think are negligible, plus I’m not doing caves).

Main reason for switch is I occasionally find with dry gloves and under gloves I’m having difficulty manipulating the bolt snap onto the floppy D when I’m down clipping a tank.

Thoughts welcome! Thanks!
With thick undergarments and dry gloves I prefer the 45-deg rings. I can readily clip tanks on with any dring. Getting them off when cold and potentially very tired is easier for me with the 45s. I dont think they pose a snag hazard even in the caves I dive. Certainly no more snag hazard than BC rails or other rear clip attachment styles.

Not knowing your process it's difficult to say, but I locate the ring with an index finger first. A slight wrist flex is all I need from there to hook it with the boltsnap. I started doing that after accidentally clipping to another boltsnap that was present when trying to find/hook the ring directly with the boltsnap. "Seeing" with my fingers helps me enormously.

(I also use some inner tube to keep the ring from laying completely flat.)
I essentially do this. Works well most of the time. I might try the suggestions from you and @grantctobin and put a piece of bungee, inner tube or an o-ring around first to see how that goes.

With thick undergarments and dry gloves I prefer the 45-deg rings. I can readily clip tanks on with any dring. Getting them off when cold and potentially very tired is easier for me with the 45s. I dont think they pose a snag hazard even in the caves I dive. Certainly no more snag hazard than BC rails or other rear clip attachment styles.
Great, so you're using the 45s on the waist already? Do you have the Ds pointing towards your spine or your stomach?

For ~$20 plus shipping (or from local shop, will go check) I'll try both methods of adjusting the Ds on the harness.

I have a thicker bungee chord wrapped around the base of the D-ring to keep it erect. If you need a pic, I can update my comment later.

Great, so you're using the 45s on the waist already? Do you have the Ds pointing towards your spine or your stomach?

For ~$20 plus shipping (or from local shop, will go check) I'll try both methods of adjusting the Ds on the harness.
they point "down" so towards the bottom (my stomach) when in trim. The reverse would be a huge mess TBH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom