"Third" Powerhouse Cutting Tool (after 2 Line Cutters)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You trying to cut glass or metal around the glass?
I never tried glass, but steel tin, no problem,
Secret is steady hands like iron, so it stay straight in the cut and doesn't bind,
And Just enough pressure so that the rpms don't slow down to much.

And yes I'll take an electric angle grinder with a zip disk any day,
If it fits,

This is cool, pricey but cool,

Blacktip scooters should have a waterproof plug to plug in a cordless angle grinder... :wink:
Got to wait to see one at Harbor Freight.

Got to wait to see one at Harbor Freight.
A harbor freight battery sawzall will work once underwater. They are cheap enough to build into the job cost.
If you want to get really into it. I have carried and used the jaws of life underwater. They are cumbersome and the hydraulic lines are a pain to drag through a wreck, but it does work the same underwater as above.
I just sold mine a few weeks ago, I don't have use for it anymore.

I received the scissors and pruning shears. Both seem fairly sturdy. I drilled a hole in the shears handle (aluminum) to accommodate a lanyard and bolt-snap. The idea being I should be able to temporarily-clip, or wrap the cord around my wrist to reduce chances of dropping them. I'll need to create a sheath or place them in a pouch. I should be going on some dives in about 1-week, so possible updates soon!

20220709_123818.jpg

20220709_175645.jpg

20220709_175658.jpg

Make sure to de-bur the holes. That hard edge on the aluminum handle will cut through the cord with a quickness

I took the Fiskars (orange) shears out in 3-dives (1 day), and so far no rust, although that's a limited test. I looked for the thickest anchor ropes I could find, and cut about a dozen for testing purposes, and every rope was cut effortlessly. I think I'll keep these shears on my harness for future dives.

I fabricated a couple sheaths using 2-inch webbing and velcro, 1-inch d-ring & a sewing machine. Fairly simple design, and it worked great! Pretty much any shears fit, and there's a loop on the back to go over 2-inch webbing. Many knives would fit too, although I'd probably use a wider strip of Velcro for a knife.

Unsheathing was easy, sheathing took a little more effort but not bad. I think I might make another sheath with a few adjustments. Once I'm happy with the design, I'll probably drop instructions in the DIY section. I positioned the sheath next to the front waist buckle, but may experiment with moving it.

20220712_165418.jpg

Untitled design (2).png

If, and only, i know the dive site will be infested with heavy line, or absolutely need the extra cutting power. I grab the Benchmade H20. The scratches easily come off with a magic eraser, and there isn't a hint of rust or corrosion.

View attachment 734506
If, and only, i know the dive site will be infested with heavy line, or absolutely need the extra cutting power. I grab the Benchmade H20. The scratches easily come off with a magic eraser, and there isn't a hint of rust or corrosion.
$125. I don't own any Benchmade knives, but from what I know they have a fantastic reputation and reviews. That one appears to have a lanyard hole, blunt-tip, a good sheath, and line-cutter.

I use trilobites and these shears:

Well made, sturdy and most importantly they cut. I've had mixed success with the normal cheap shears. They fit into the DR trauma shears pouch.

DB9DA5D4-5793-461C-8249-2148650CA823.jpeg

I suppose I should post an on the Fiskars posted earlier!
  • About 1-dozen fresh water dives, never washed or dried, and zero signs of rust I can find, including at the joints.
  • Cut every boating/anchor rope like it's not even there! I'd rate cutting power 12-out-of-10.
  • The DIY sheath I made works very well. I should write up a tutorial sometime for how I made it, it's fairly simple.
  • Only downside is they're a little (but not excessively) bulky. It doesn't actually bother me much, but there are only so many bulky items one will want to bring on a dive. I'm just comparing them to my line-cutters, which are so small, lightweight, and out-of-the-way they're practically "free."

I use trilobites and these shears:

Well made, sturdy and most importantly they cut. I've had mixed success with the normal cheap shears. They fit into the DR trauma shears pouch.
Those were one of the shears I looked at, and strongly considered. Great ratings, and look like a serious set meant to deal with serious obstacles. If I had to guess, those would maybe lose a tiny bit of cutting-power compared to the Fiskars, but save a lot on bulk. They would also fit most standard trauma-shear sheaths.

Back
Top Bottom