"Third" Powerhouse Cutting Tool (after 2 Line Cutters)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rated for copper cables, but works good for big rope,
But will rust like crazy

Attachments

• 20220706_204229.jpg
    20220706_204229.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 45

runs right off your air supply, once you get an adapter
Problem is a die grinder is an air hog..
I initially laughed at the idea, but .... it may have uses & is not that expensive. Not my first choice of course.

I'd probably only take that on very, very, very specific dives. For example, I sometimes come across a giant mess of tangled anchors. That would make quick work of the mess. I dive sidemount, and could easily dedicate one tank for breathing, and the other for the cutter.

Go for it,,, I just want to see pictures.

These look cool, I wonder how rust resistant....

Wiss Tool Shears Pro Utility Titanium
I'll definitely share pictures when I do. I'm thinking of making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. I could even do a writeup for the DIY section.

The Wiss shears say stainless steel blade, although who knows if the screw/hinge or other components might be another type of steel. The reviews are pretty good, and it's only $15. The heavy-duty ones also look interesting.
Rated for copper cables, but works good for big rope,
But will rust like crazy
I spent a couple hours looking for a stainless steel or even rust-resistant version of this. I guess this might work if only taken underwater occasionally, and dried off soon after. The idea being I only bring it with me when I know I'm dealing with ropes, but otherwise it stays on the boat, or in my car.

I'd probably only take that on very, very, very specific dives. For example, I sometimes come across a giant mess of tangled anchors. That would make quick work of the mess. I dive sidemount, and could easily dedicate one tank for breathing, and the other for the cutter.

Well I use this type of cut off wheel fairly regularly...
Depending on the mess, but loose chainlinks are going to be hard to cut...
If you got a vice grip on the link maybe...
But the blade will need to be careful with, break relatively easy.

Bolt cutters for smaller chain is what I would try...

I initially laughed at the idea, but .... it may have uses & is not that expensive. Not my first choice of course.

I'll definitely share pictures when I do. I'm thinking of making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. I could even do a writeup for the DIY section.

The Wiss shears say stainless steel blade, although who knows if the screw/hinge or other components might be another type of steel. The reviews are pretty good, and it's only $15. The heavy-duty ones also look interesting.

I spent a couple hours looking for a stainless steel or even rust-resistant version of this. I guess this might work if only taken underwater occasionally, and dried off soon after. The idea being I only bring it with me when I know I'm dealing with ropes, but otherwise it stays on the boat, or in my car.
I’d just bring a battery powered grinder down at that point, or a battery powered cut off saw

Well I use this type of cut off wheel fairly regularly...
Depending on the mess, but loose chainlinks are going to be hard to cut...
If you got a vice grip on the link maybe...
But the blade will need to be careful with, break relatively easy.

Bolt cutters for smaller chain is what I would try...
I’d just bring a battery powered grinder down at that point, or a battery powered cut off saw
I'm not so sure I want to deal with thick chain or steel cable yet. The main deal would be to tackle a mess of rope. Lets say there are 3 anchors tangled up, each with 20ft of rope. I might find an anchor by following a rope. With a cutting-device that can cut rope easily, I cut up the rope as I go (to prevent entanglement-hazards), stashing pieces in my mesh bag, until I end up at the anchor. Once I free the anchor from entanglements, it's just the anchor and 2-3 feet of chain, which the chain can be manually unentangled usually.

Of course since I said that, I'm reminded of an anchor I found a few days ago, which it's carabiner managed to become clipped to a dock's thick steel-cable. That one took me a minute to figure out because it was zero visibility (not even inches).

As a side-note, I sometimes come across messes like this one. I don't think I'd be messing with this pile.

Have you tried using one underwater? The back pressure of the water severely limits the power. What you can cut on land in seconds takes forever underwater. And it sucks air fast.
We tried using one, on land, and it didn’t work at all, so we didn’t use it in the water

We tried using one, on land, and it didn’t work at all,

What do you mean didn't work at all?
It's not like an electric grinder with tons of torque..

It's an air tool,
You need to brace yourself, cut lightly, keep rpms up, and stay straight..

I am sure it would work underwater, ( first stage needs to be at the same level), but not as well because the blade can't reach full rpm,,, now maybe some air around the blade could help... but then you can't see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom