"Third" Powerhouse Cutting Tool (after 2 Line Cutters)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume you've taken those on many dives? Those look rust free. Although some of the reviews claim some of the models do rust easily (not sure which ones).

edit: The F 310 model doesn't appear to have any reviews with rust-problems. It appears to be the blades on some of the other models that rust.
That tiny screw that the lock pivot swings on is rusting a bit,,, but everything else is perfect... even the spring... but I don't normally dive in saltwater
Yes always comes with me,,,
Probably seen 150 dives ish.

Sits on my crotch strap, easy to get to with both hands,
May seems like a strange spot but it works very well

Attachments

• 20220706_165435.jpg
    20220706_165435.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 88
That tiny screw that the lock pivot swings on is rusting a bit,,, but everything else is perfect... even the spring... but I don't normally dive in saltwater

Obligatory, "Please use caution when resheathing" warning ... :oops:

Here you go... might need a tender but you'll be fine in the unlikely event of an underwater forest.

It's not that bad... unless you are being weird and forgot your shorts.

I find it hard to find "good" spots to mount essential gear without becoming a Christmas tree. And needing to attach everything separately..

My other knife is here,

Attachments

• 20220706_180757.jpg
    20220706_180757.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 81
Spiderco Salt
Looks like they have several options available. This one looks the most practical, and obstacles like ropes or branches, and without a pointy end. Pricier than other options, but Spyderco is a fairly well respected knife-brand.

The location actually makes perfect sense. I rarely dive in salt-water. That's impressive enough lack of rust, given it's not specifically made for marine purposes. Do you think it would make quick work of of boating rope (common of boat-anchors, boat-tie-offs, etc)?
Is that a cutting device, or are you happy to see me!

Here you go... might need a tender but you'll be fine in the unlikely event of an underwater forest.

That would make quick work of my imaginary forest! (I saw that floating around in one of the other threads)
It's not that bad... unless you are being weird and forgot your shorts.

I find it hard to find "good" spots to mount essential gear without becoming a Christmas tree. And needing to attach everything separately..

My other knife is here,
I've been wanting to make something like that. What did you use for the plastic-looking piece?

I've been wanting to make something like that. What did you use for the plastic-looking piece?

Thin wall PVC sewer pipe, the arc is perfect for me,,,
but you can always warm it up in an oven and re shape it if you want.

You need Pvc, Zip ties, 3/16 shock cord, some basic hand tools

It will cut rope fairly well, bigger the diameter,, the worse it is,,, the jaws are straight so it likes to slide forward... a battery cable cutter would do a quicker job, Because of the jaws that capture the rope.
I don't use it tons but its usually works quite well, when I do need it. Better than any sheet metal emt shears.

There are other ss pruning shears out there... go to a farm supply store that supplies fruit farms

Now if only I could find ss vice grips

I currently have two line-cutters from DGX, including the ceramic one and titanium one. I love having these cutters, because they're easy to handle, not-drop, no stabby end, and use practically zero space on my harness. I'll probably swap out the ceramic for a 2nd titanium one, because the feature of opening up and having a serrated side is pretty awesome for cutting ropes.

Anyway, I'm looking at options for a 3rd cutting tool. Perhaps something more of a power-house even if is little bulkier. If it's bulky enough, it might be clipped to my tank (sidemount), but I've been thinking about various ideas like folding-saws, bolt-cutters, etc. Preferably stainless steel or other non-rusting material. I can easily make a sheathe for anything, so I'll worry about that part. I could potentially even swap out the device depending on the environment, obstacles, or likely things I feel like cutting (rope, branches, steel fishing line).

Bonus Questions: For each device, also feel free to also include.
  • What the device is great for cutting, or potential other uses.
  • Any drawbacks or limitations. (what it can't cut, bulk, stabbing-hazard, etc)
  • Recommended brand/model.
Did ewe look at the lifeline tactical knife?
They’ve got the jawz which will cut glass in case you ever find yourself in that shituation…
The scuba pro version is 50 bucks more so go dieefctly to their site.

Thin wall PVC sewer pipe, the arc is perfect for me,,,
but you can always warm it up in an oven and re shape it if you want.

You need Pvc, Zip ties, 3/16 shock cord, some basic hand tools
Nice! PVC pipe is generally inexpensive. I'd probably use my heat-gun to mold it. Photos look straight-forward enough for me to "violate your intellectual-property" with ease! I'm about 95% certain I'll borrow the idea, and make something almost identical. I might make 2-or-3, because it looks so simple.
It will cut rope fairly well, bigger the diameter,, the worse it is,,, the jaws are straight so it likes to slide forward... a battery cable cutter would do a quicker job, Because of the jaws that capture the rope.
I don't use it tons but its usually works quite well, when I do need it. Better than any sheet metal emt shears.

There are other ss pruning shears out there... go to a farm supply store that supplies fruit farms

Now if only I could find ss vice grips
I've been looking at cable-cutters as well. It's hard to find any that are stainless-steel.

For stainless-steel pruning-shears, I was looking at these two:
And snips:
Or carpet-scisors:

It's possible I may just have to buy several of these cutting tools, and then just take with me whichever ones seem ideal for diving. I can pretty much always use more snips/shears/etc.
Did ewe look at the lifeline tactical knife?
They’ve got the jawz which will cut glass in case you ever find yourself in that shituation…
The scuba pro version is 50 bucks more so go dieefctly to their site.
Neat product, although at that price tag, I'd need to be more sold that it's "the best cutting device ever."

Nice! PVC pipe is generally inexpensive. I'd probably use my heat-gun to mold it. Photos look straight-forward enough for me to "violate your intellectual-property" with ease! I'm about 95% certain I'll borrow the idea, and make something almost identical. I might make 2-or-3, because it looks so simple.
Go for it,,, I just want to see pictures.

These look cool, I wonder how rust resistant....

Wiss Tool Shears Pro Utility Titanium

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom