Fitness regime for Scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A load of pollock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Whats yours?

I like to keep fit and preform regular cardio as well as lifting the 3 basic moves{ squat bench dead}. I also find the punch bag to be an excellent method of cardio training for diving, 3x 3 min rounds 3 times week , usually as a warm up to my lifting.

anyway..... 2 weeks ago my friend had his basic ow course, and myself and another buddy tagged along for dives in the area. I was delighted to find that I was using very little air and lumbering up and down from the slip was no longer an issue.

I put it down to the bag work.
an excellent choice for cardio training for diving imo. Maybe due to the fact that when you push it, your body goes from aerobic to anaerobic, using different systems ect. I think this is key, as it actually builds a little bit of strength and power. Just a little. I found that when I used to run a lot that I was less comfortable in the water, even thought I was cardio fit.
Either way , it made my diving much much easier and enjoyable.
:)

---------- Post Merged at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:13 PM ----------

admin please delete. just found the fitness board sorry:)

Safety is way overrated, fitness is way underrated.

I do not know much about "bag work" or what it is, I run (elliptical now), swim and cycle.

N

I like yoga for strength and flexibility, do a lot of surfing which is good for endurance and cardio, and I usually do p-90-x or something similar during the dead of winter.

I've been working with a personal trainer at a gym since February and it has greatly increased my strength and muscle toning. I have a hip replacement and back problems, so it's offsetting those limitations pretty much.

i get my cardio by walking my border collie 1.5 miles almost every day. She does not walk slowly! LOL

Aggressive personal trainer led weight training regime and fast paced road bike cardio training. Oorah!

If you think bag work is good cardio training - try out kickboxing. Itll give you cardio and large muscle group training all in once.
Just suck that Im currently 2 hours away from the closest place to do it, so Im stuck with running around in circles at the moment..

I have been doing full body heavy compound 5X5 strength exercises such as squats (legs), bench presses (chest), dead-lifts (back), military presses (shoulders), chin-ups (biceps), dips (triceps), decline sit-ups (abs) with 20 - 30 minutes of cardio every other day, but I'll soon be switching to an endurance program to cut some fat gained during the strength cycle. The 5x5's are believed to be advantageous for middle-aged training by boosting testosterone. As I get older, my body dictates my recovery time more and more. If I time my microcycles correctly, I should be leaned up for summer in time to experiment with speed training. I'll lose a month of training after Christmas due to a cave exploration and education project I'll be participating in while in a foreign country, but I don't think I'll be eating much and it may serve to be a fat burning and leaning period.

Fitness regime? Is that like an "exercise dictatorship" of some sort?

:d

But seriously, I got back into shape about two years ago. At the time I was 218lbs at 6'2" in height. I'm now 173lbs... and still 6'2" tall.

My standard workout each week is swimming 3,000-4,000m 3x per week, weight training 2-3x per week, and cycling ~50mi 2x per week.

My sac rate is about as close to zero as I can get. Recently did 5 dives while DMing an OW class, all on the same set of doubles and still came back with 1,200PSI. Oh, and toting said doubles up and down the hill at Dutch Springs is way easier than it used to be.

Only downside is that I need to buy two new drysuits...

:d

Last edited:
If you think bag work is good cardio training - try out kickboxing. Itll give you cardio and large muscle group training all in once.
Just suck that Im currently 2 hours away from the closest place to do it, so Im stuck with running around in circles at the moment..

Get a heavy bag and hang it from a beam in your house. No need to find a gym for kickboxing, just do the workout in your house. Beware, though, hanging a bag from a beam means the whole house shakes when you work out unless you live in a concrete building.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom