Fitness for Technical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix

Club Web Master
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok Ok, another lame question by nooby-one kaNoobie

I read everywhere that Technical Diving is more physicaly demanding, requires higher levels of fitness and willingness to stay fit, however, how fit is 'Fit'
what do you do to keep in shape?
I personaly dont look/feel all that in shape
however I can cycle 10k in under 15 minutes, but I cant do a single press up
I can carry 4x 12ltr tanks, but I couldnt do a single pull up

perhaps this is just my size coming into play, i'm a big guy, I used to play rugby three times a week, I cycle about 80 miles a week, and help with pool sessions 5 times a week

so my question is, what is considered fit, what type of fitness is required, and what are good examples of what to do to get that way

i've read a few articles but none seem to perticularly focus on technical diving

Thanks All

I was about to post the same link. Cameron is a great guy (site owner) and he will answer your questions directly as well. He is really smart and very eager to help divers.

Check him out..

I keep myself fit because I want to leave healthy longer, but when it comes to diving, you wouldn't believe the amount of beer-bellied 40 somethings that I see with double tanks making 190 foot deco dives every time I go out on a charter.

I'm wondering if financial fitness to buy all that gear is more important than physical fitness :).

Scubaroo and DIR Tec Diver-
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you find the information helpful.

Kaos-
While an important benefit of improved fitness is the ability to better manage your gear topside, you are right in observing that we don't really need nor want to use our maximal strength and endurance while diving at any depth. Rather, it is the physiology that is created by strength and cardiovascular conditioning that makes our dives safer.

All else being equal, fit divers decompress faster and cleaner, are better able to deal with problems underwater, and can often do more of a dive with less gas, tanks, and in-water deco. This is obviously simplifying things, but I have more detailed information at http://www.divefitness.com/html/articles.html.

Phoenix
I created DIVEFITNESS.com for divers exactly like you, so I hope you check it out and tell me if you find the information useful or not. Pull no punches.

I post an entire week's worth of exercise every Sunday, so I try to leave no diver with an excuse to avoid working out. You will see three different schedules based upon your starting fitness level, though you will be the one to best determine which schedule is most appropriate for you.

As already mentioned, if you have any specific questions that are not answered on the site, feel free to post them here or email me directly.

Cameron

Kaos once bubbled...
I keep myself fit because I want to leave healthy longer, but when it comes to diving, you wouldn't believe the amount of beer-bellied 40 somethings that I see with double tanks making 190 foot deco dives every time I go out on a charter.

I'm wondering if financial fitness to buy all that gear is more important than physical fitness :).

Boy you got that right Kaos!

I actually see more of the gorilla shaped basketball bellied chain smoking nipple-sagging-esque diver than I ever do of the picturesque fitness freak washboard-stomached diver you may see on the cover of dive mags (obviously). Everywhere. Does it go with the territory? Especially in the Tek diving arena.

Or is it just he who can master the skills?

...but how often is it that a scuba victim was an overweight male in their 40s or 50s?

Or do these types of fatalities just draw more attention to themselves because of the physical condition of the victim?

Would be interesting to see any DAN figures on the health statistics of victims versus health statistics of divers overall. No idea if that type of data is available though.

I agree, you don't see those kind of stats available. Every now and then DAN's Alert mag publishes a story about an older diver with a bad experience possibly due to age-related or physical conditioning factors, but they never discuss a comprehensive report on such subjects.

Diving smart is more important than fitness all by itself.
Diving real smart is diving smart and fit.
E.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom