Fishing ban could be lifted in Pupukea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Feb/27/ln/FP702270331.html

We all need to speak up about this!!! This is not good!!!

We all need to swamp the DLNR with emails and phone calls in protest to the lifting of the Akule fishing ban!!!!

If we speak loud enough, then the DLNR has no choice but to listen!!!!

Please join the effort.

P.S. The "Makai Watch" group will be set up in Waimea Bay from 10 until 2 on Saturday March 3rd. Please come help support the conservation of Pupukea MLCD!!!
Mahalo,
ScubaDrew

Pupukea Beach Park = "Sharks' Cove"

Pupukea MLCD (Marine Life Conservation District) =
"Sharks' Cove", "Fire-house", "Three-Tables", "Waimea-Bay" dive sites.

pupukea.jpg

The panel voted recently to reopen the area to fishermen during the akule season but to ban all commercial activities there.

Hmm. Limited fishing vs. commercial exploitation?

Akule fishing at Pupukea was a local family tradition for decades before the MLCD was set up. Now, the fishermen are shut out but area is overrun by dive shops who clog up the parking lot with their vans and send their customers out to feed fish, step on the reef, and blow air bubbles into the tops of caves.

So which is worse? There are probably as many people who disagree with the current state of affairs as there are supporters of the MLCD. And, like it or not, their opinions do matter.

Scubadrew, what's wrong with allowing people to fish off Sharks Cove? I'm sure not very many people would fish while it's filled with divers, and vice-versa. What's fair is fair.

The Ocean is for everyone, not just a vocal minority of scuba divers who want to keep a cove for themselves.

There are several issues at hand here so I am glad to get feedback.

First of all, less than 1% of Hawaii's coastline is made up of Marine Life Conservation Districts, so in reply to "why shouldn't people be allowed to fish there?"
It is a very small section of a VERY large coastline that is free for the picking, so I ask why do they feel the need to fish there? MLCD are proven to help increase marine life populations.
So even though it was fished in before, the overall condition of this islands marine reef ecosystems is in need of help and this area is already in place as protected.

As far as the exploitation of the cove and the misuse by the dive companies, there are easy solutions regarding education of the dive group leaders and the general public. As a regular dive tour guide in the cove each summer it appalls me to see anyone feeding fish or violating the rules of the MLCD at all and I find myself educating people because they just didn't know the area was protected. That is why I joined the "Makai Watch" group. I want to see the whole Pupukea Waimea area return to the condtion it was before the development surge. Including the culteral history that so important to this region.

The other point I wish to make is,
There needs to be more open forum involvment from the entire community regarding decisions that effect the lively hood of businesses that rely on those commercial operations. This decision was made without the involvement of ANY of the dive operations or other tourist based activities. thats just not right!

I just believe that it should stay as it stands but I also believe in commercial regulations regarding knowledge of the MLCD status and strict adherence to the regulations!
In closing I ask, how do you inforce an "Akule only" fishing law anyhow?
Keep Our Oceans Blue &
Keep the country country

Also the whole area is thoroughly airated every year by the surf so I really don't think the bubbles have an serious adverse effect on the caverns.
Parking IS a serouse issue and that is why I am also against further development of Turtle Bay...we need to solve the current problems firsat before introducing new ones!

scubadrewvideo:
As far as the exploitation of the cove and the misuse by the dive companies, there are easy solutions regarding education of the dive group leaders and the general public. As a regular dive tour guide in the cove each summer it appalls me to see anyone feeding fish or violating the rules of the MLCD at all and I find myself educating people because they just didn't know the area was protected. That is why I joined the "Makai Watch" group. I want to see the whole Pupukea Waimea area return to the condtion it was before the development surge. Including the culteral history that so important to this region.
And what part of the Hawaiian Culture revolves around scuba diving? I'm sorry, but if Pupukea belongs to Hawaii, why are you taking it away from them? I would say that a larger amount of the Hawaiian population are fisherman than they are divers.

I see Pupukea going the same direction as Hana'uma bay is going. Just as Hana'uma has become a joke with Hawaiian conservation (anyone local needs to show up before 7am to watch tourists walk over the coral), Pupukea is doing the same. Try heading to Sharks Cove at 10am on a Sunday to do dive in the Summer. If you are lucky enough to find a parking spot, you'll need to obey traffic routes in the water with all the guided tours in the bay and the sunbathers on the rocks.

If you were so inclined to keep Pupukea local, I would first look at giving back fishing rights to the locals (of course that would turn the heads of the tourist... that's the price you have to pay). We are talking about a regulated fishing season, not long line commercial right outside the bay.

Sorry Drew, but to me it looks to me like a selfish reason to continue banning fishing in the cove. Sharks Cove is a very accessible beach that makes for an easy dive in the right conditions. I really think as divers in the Hawaiian community, we need to share our sites, just as the fisherman need to with us. I think you need to ask yourself 'How is saving an area for tourist development saving it's cultural significance?'

scubadrewvideo:
In closing I ask, how do you inforce an "Akule only" fishing law anyhow?
Easy, the same way you enforce the no fishing law now... through DLNR enforcement and high fines.

scubadrewvideo:
First of all, less than 1% of Hawaii's coastline is made up of Marine Life Conservation Districts, so in reply to "why shouldn't people be allowed to fish there?"
It is a very small section of a VERY large coastline that is free for the picking, so I ask why do they feel the need to fish there?

Because it's accessible - the same reason why divers like it. Conversely, there are miles of coastline that receive very little fishing pressure because they are hard to access.

MLCD are proven to help increase marine life populations.

Not really. MLCDs are sold to fishermen as a way to increase overall fish populations inside and outside the reserves, and although the idea makes sense there isn't much data to back this up in Hawaii. Essentially, their function here is to provide places where people can see fish - something that's valuable in itself but shouldn't be confused with fisheries management. That's the perspective in which Pupukea should be viewed.

I want to see the whole Pupukea Waimea area return to the condtion it was before the development surge. Including the culteral history that so important to this region.

If you want to preserve the culture of the region, then you should allow akule fishing. If you feel that having more fish around to show your customers outweighs that, then so be it. It's the classic "selling out to the tourists" vs "helping the island economy" debate.

I am suprised by this.
When I talk about hawaiian culture, I am not referring to scuba diving....DUH! I am talking about the historic sites within and around Waimea bay!

I don't know about you but I dive the MLCD for the marine life...not for ease of entry and I don't believe that all an MLCD does is make a place to see fish, but even if it did, is that so bad? Ask anyone who dove the cove 10 yrs ago to compare the health of the area then and now and you will find it was dead for many years due to marine life exploitation by fishing. I have seen the increase over the last 5 years with my own eyes and have the video to prove it!

All I am saying is there needs to be balance in the system and right now it heavily favors the unregulated areas. BTW if State house bill 1848 passes then it will be virtually impossible to establish anymore regulated areas.

I guess the other option is to sit back and let whatever changes happen and if that means the entire islands marine life is killed off then maybe people will realize the mistakes....I just don't want it to get that far.
Too bad there is such an uproar over a tiny fraction of coastline.
Oh well, gotta go to work!

Im all in favor of "traditional" fishing rights. As soon as the locals start hand weaving nets out of palm fronds, they can gill net anywhere they want IMHO. Closing pockets of coast to fishing has never been proven to do anything. It's a nice thought and makes big political news but in reality, the fish go where the conditions favor them the most from season to season....Im on both sides of the fence on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom