First used regulator help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason you can draw air in through the atomic, down to the 1st stage, and back out to either the titan or the octo is because, as I mentioned, the atomic has a seat-saver feature that separates the seat from the orifice when the reg is not pressurized. As such, there is a path for air to come in the mouthpiece and essentially flow upstream to the 1st stage whenever the reg is not pressurized. It then flows out the LP chamber of the 1st stage to your titan.

There's nothing wrong with your titan based on what you've said.

The odd thing is that the ABS octo is apparently acting like it too has a seat-saver feature; it's allowing air to come in the mouthpiece and travel upstream to the 1st stage. I'm not sure why that is, because I'm not familiar with the mechanism of that particular octo. I'd be surprised if it had a seat-saver like the atomic, although for some reason it's allowing air to flow upstream when un-pressurized. That's why I suggested that you pressurize and submerge the whole set up, maybe on a pony bottle for convenience, and look for leaks at the octo.

It's that low end pancake looking octo. Standard down stream design like most other low end second stages, nothing fancy at all in it.

The reason you can draw air in through the atomic, down to the 1st stage, and back out to either the titan or the octo is because, as I mentioned, the atomic has a seat-saver feature that separates the seat from the orifice when the reg is not pressurized. As such, there is a path for air to come in the mouthpiece and essentially flow upstream to the 1st stage whenever the reg is not pressurized. It then flows out the LP chamber of the 1st stage to your titan.

There's nothing wrong with your titan based on what you've said.

The odd thing is that the ABS octo is apparently acting like it too has a seat-saver feature; it's allowing air to come in the mouthpiece and travel upstream to the 1st stage. I'm not sure why that is, because I'm not familiar with the mechanism of that particular octo. I'd be surprised if it had a seat-saver like the atomic, although for some reason it's allowing air to flow upstream when un-pressurized. That's why I suggested that you pressurize and submerge the whole set up, maybe on a pony bottle for convenience, and look for leaks at the octo.

I will test it in the pool tomorrow. With all of the testing and reporting I've done, I think I may have confused you, sorry. Here is what it looks like when I test the reg

Titan and ABS octopus: Breathing through the Titan pulls in air from the ABS, but breathing from the ABS does not pull in air from the Titan.
Titan and Atomic Z2: Breathing through the Titan pulls in air from the Z2, but breathing from the Z2 does not pull in air from the Titan.
Z2 and ABS octopus: Breathing through either end does not pull in air from the opposite end.

It's that low end pancake looking octo. Standard down stream design like most other low end second stages, nothing fancy at all in it.

That's the one. I hope I never have to use it though, breathing through it is relatively difficult.

@MJck

How are you so sure the air is coming from the ABS Octo when inhaling from your Titan?

There is only one way to get air from the octopus mouth piece through the aspirator upwards to the 1st stage, that is when the orifice is not closing with the low pressure seat, which you should have seen as a slight free flowing octopus when testing the regulator.

When you are sure the air is coming through the octopus when sucking your primary 2nd then the only possibility this to happen is that in the meanwhile the inlet fitting has become loose, moving the orifice (crown) away from the LP seat. It would mean the the octopus is free flowing the next time you put it on a tank and pressurize it.

So check if the inlet fitting with the crown is tightened in the octopus body.

If it is, I guess the air comes from the Titan and not the ABS.

Good luck.

I hope I never have to use it though, breathing through it is relatively difficult.

FWIW, this is why I put he same kind of second stage on my primary, my secondary ( I don't use the term octo ) and my stage bottle. When the poo-poo hits the fan, breathing ability is the last thing I want to worry about. Also standardization becomes part of my save a dive plan.

FWIW, this is why I put he same kind of second stage on my primary, my secondary ( I don't use the term octo ) and my stage bottle. When the poo-poo hits the fan, breathing ability is the last thing I want to worry about. Also standardization becomes part of my save a dive plan.

I agree. If anything were to happen I believe it would be natural to "freak out" a bit. The last thing I want is to freak out about a regulator issue, then to be stressed out even more after realizing that I can barely breathe through my octopus/secondary. I will probably invest in a HOG since they are relatively inexpensive.

@MJck

How are you so sure the air is coming from the ABS Octo when inhaling from your Titan?

There is only one way to get air from the octopus mouth piece through the aspirator upwards to the 1st stage, that is when the orifice is not closing with the low pressure seat, which you should have seen as a slight free flowing octopus when testing the regulator.

When you are sure the air is coming through the octopus when sucking your primary 2nd then the only possibility this to happen is that in the meanwhile the inlet fitting has become loose, moving the orifice (crown) away from the LP seat. It would mean the the octopus is free flowing the next time you put it on a tank and pressurize it.

So check if the inlet fitting with the crown is tightened in the octopus body.

If it is, I guess the air comes from the Titan and not the ABS.

Good luck.

I can hear the air entering the ABS. To confirm, I placed it close to my ear, then put my finger over the ABS's mouthpiece. Seems like the air is coming from there. It was free flowing prior (like MrSam's regulator) but that issue was solved by tightening the crown.

I agree. If anything were to happen I believe it would be natural to "freak out" a bit. The last thing I want is to freak out about a regulator issue, then to be stressed out even more after realizing that I can barely breathe through my octopus/secondary. I will probably invest in a HOG since they are relatively inexpensive.

Well, I wasn't going to mention the brand... :) But yes, Hog would do nicely. I started off with a MK/20 S550 because I found it used for $175. First I sold the S550 for $75 and picked up a Hog DUROC on Black Friday for a little less. Then I sold the MK20 for $100 and picked up a Hog BP2 for $115. It was cheaper to do that then pay for the yoke to din conversion. And I got a brand new BP2/DUROC for less then $200. My LDS wants more then 3.5x that much for a new MK25/S600. I want to show them love but what additional value do I really get for that additional $529?

I'm all for DIY service and repair.
PLEASE
Before doing any internal adjustments at an absolute minimum you have to have an intermediate pressure gauge and a full tank (preferably 2 tanks one full and the other at 4-700psi).

Titan and ABS octopus: Breathing through the Titan pulls in air from the ABS, but breathing from the ABS does not pull in air from the Titan.
Titan and Atomic Z2: Breathing through the Titan pulls in air from the Z2, but breathing from the Z2 does not pull in air from the Titan.
Z2 and ABS octopus: Breathing through either end does not pull in air from the opposite end.

Connecting the Z2 and the octo does or does not pull in air from one to the other? Are you sure it does not?

Connecting the Z2 and the octo does or does not pull in air from one to the other? Are you sure it does not?

Positive, I just retested it. No air is pulled from either end when the two are connected to the first stage together.

Well, I wasn't going to mention the brand... :) But yes, Hog would do nicely. I started off with a MK/20 S550 because I found it used for $175. First I sold the S550 for $75 and picked up a Hog DUROC on Black Friday for a little less. Then I sold the MK20 for $100 and picked up a Hog BP2 for $115. It was cheaper to do that then pay for the yoke to din conversion. And I got a brand new BP2/DUROC for less then $200. My LDS wants more then 3.5x that much for a new MK25/S600. I want to show them love but what additional value do I really get for that additional $529?

I actually came across HOG regs accidentally. I was browsing around and found that they go for $109. Then I realized that I have seen them somewhere before, my instructor currently uses one along with a dive master I know. I asked them about the reg and they couldn't stop raving about it!

I'm all for DIY service and repair.
PLEASE
Before doing any internal adjustments at an absolute minimum you have to have an intermediate pressure gauge and a full tank (preferably 2 tanks one full and the other at 4-700psi).

I was going to purchase one a few nights ago, however my friend loaned me his for the time being. Now to look up some numbers.

Back
Top Bottom