AL Legend 2nd stage bubbling near venturi when I breathe in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldomatic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got my regs through their first annual service and noticed something: my second stage (Aqualung Legend) bubbles (steady stream of ~0.5cm bubbles about 1 cm apart) when I inhale. in between inhale and exhale it's fine. The bubbles are coming from the left side at the venturi knob, position of the knob doesn't seem to matter.

I didn't notice my octo (helix pro) doing it, but don't breathe through it much.

Is this something normal I just never picked up on, or should I take them back to the shop?

The O-ring there between the case and the Venturi knob is in need of replacement. Either salt crystals or age and normal wear, it is time to replace. That is part of the standard service kit.

Yes, it's jsut the O-ring. It's a pretty easy fix, but if you are not confrient in doing it yourself, then it's best to get a technician to do it.

If it ain't an imposition take it back to them, have them show you the fix become friends and get free stuff
and tell them it was an imposition

I have heard that repair shops tend to leave the Venturi mechanism alone because some models have a difficult to remove and replace Venturi mechanism requiring a special tool - not sure if that is the case with this model and hence the problem went unnoticed?

I have heard that repair shops tend to leave the Venturi mechanism alone because some models have a difficult to remove and replace Venturi mechanism requiring a special tool - not sure if that is the case with this model and hence the problem went unnoticed?

The Legend series uses a coaxial Venturi and seat spring force adjustment that slides over the air barrel. It all has to come apart to remove the air barrel for service. Not especially difficult. Some Legend series regs do not have a spring force adjustment, just the Venturi control but it is still coaxial with the air barrel.

I would guess that during the service, the internal threads of the barrel tore the oring on the adjustment knob. Most mfrs specify 70 duro for this oring and the threads on a newish reg can be sharp.
20191210_201623.jpg

When you have it repaired, ask the tech to replace the "approved" oring with a 2-011 duro 90 oring. Problem solved.

Your bubbling occurs when the valve opens. Most of the gas goes out the hole in the barrel to your mouthpiece. But some continues down the barrel past the torn oring and out near the knob assembly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom