First trip to Philippines and I have a few questions (Sabang Beach area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are crisp $50 USD bills ok with the changers?

Are crisp $50 USD bills ok with the changers?

I exchanged both 100 and 20's so I am sure they will accept 50's,,,but if any bills look too worn they won't accept maybe thinking they are counterfeit or the next step in the supply chain of the US currency likes newer US bills.

CASH(Peos) is KING.
New and unmarked $50 and $100 are the preferred denomination, smaller one might get lower exchange rate.
The exchange rate at Tropicana is the best.

CASH(Peos) is KING.
New and unmarked $50 and $100 are the preferred denomination, smaller one might get lower exchange rate.
The exchange rate at Tropicana is the best.

What is "tropicana"?

Tropicana is a hotel ( quite a unique one !). The moneychanger (owner?) is sitting in the lobby , ive been using him for 10 years.
Frank

Why bather with exchanging?

When i travel SEA, I do not bring cash from home, I go to the ATM at the airport av withdraw PHP 20k (if in the phillipines) and then i top up when i need. I do not need to carry around big piles of cash, I do not need to pay bad exchange rates.

The excange rate is better in the ATM.

Better to research pg ive heard there still cleaning up sabang due to cloudy water there. My friend is filipina and just told me. She has family there in quezon province. Not sure what happened. Not to worry therss thousands of great dive locations there.
Look into it to be on the safe side.
Update was a bad sewer system caused it. Not recommended to dive there at this time

probably batangas is your best bet to find an atm. not sure dive opp should know

Better to research pg ive heard there still cleaning up sabang due to cloudy water there. My friend is filipina and just told me. She has family there in quezon province. Not sure what happened. Not to worry therss thousands of great dive locations there.
Look into it to be on the safe side.
Update was a bad sewer system caused it. Not recommended to dive there at this time

Can you provide any more detail or link to story? I did a quick google search and surveyed twit advisor but could not find any information.

Your comment "Not recommended to dive there at this time" is a little troubling. We have a trip booked for May (our first to the Phillipines) and are staying at Scandi Divers, two small beaches over from Sabang Beach. While sewage leaking is bad, I would imagine the strong currents in the area would help elevate the impact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom