First trip to Philippines and I have a few questions (Sabang Beach area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone carry a dive knife when diving in the Philippines? They were not allowed when I was in Cozumel. It is common here in San Diego as you can get hung up on fishing line and what not especially in the kelp beds, but I always feel like Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt when strapping it on...

@ OOO you're not being Asian enough in your thinking :wink:

Try stepping into 95% of Asian ATM booths and you will have to wait your turn until the dude with the gun waves you in....Should there be two dudes with guns (and dogs - Mall of Manila, Ermita) and one tries to come into the booth with you as a solo female traveller - tell him to get out. I've had this happen a few times in Indo and Thailand (sans police dogs) and sure enough, they get out, you do your transaction.

@Tippytoe - agree, no problems

Can only add the Sabang ATM is notoriously unreliable and both that and the PG one were out of cash over new year period a few years ago but money changer was making a killing.

At 50:1, your piles of cash are bigger in php thasn usd. Personally, I consider my cash pretty safe when in my possession on an airplane. The only thing, imo, that can come from getting cash at the atm in my home city versus destination airport is an atm transaction goes bad.

Safe, but 10-20% more expensive.

Also if I should carry cash for my whole trip it is quite a big amount of value. If I take out from the atm it is not so big amount to lose.

Does anyone carry a dive knife when diving in the Philippines? They were not allowed when I was in Cozumel. It is common here in San Diego as you can get hung up on fishing line and what not especially in the kelp beds, but I always feel like Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt when strapping it on...

No knives, guns or diving gloves permitted...

Try carrying a trilobite line cutter instead of you are concerned.

I'm here this week. Nobody said anything about knives and gloves. I have a small knife in a pocket. Haven't needed to take it out on a dive yet.

Line cutter is more efficient than a knife especially dealing with mono-filament. I had used it many times to cut away abandoned lines with multiple hooks on them. Be careful about the rusty hooks.

Back
Top Bottom