First trip to Nubble, ME

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by shellbird
You have this stuff right at your fingertips! Amazing. Great info

I'm a web searching Deity! [whole long story with a reputation at work for being associated to various religious figures due to my hair and sandals :)]

Anyway... Solving restrictions on dive sites for the Isle of Shoals is really simple... if you can book a dive boat to go to shoals diving on sunday... there isn't any restrictions! :)

I seriously doubt it, since it's boat access... e.g. there isn't any "We can't go appreciate our lighthouse on Gods day because the damn divers take up the whole parking lot" issues...

The only place that _might_ [BIG might] have some restrictions is Star Island, but that's only 'cause it's populated by a bunch of freaks, and freaks are unpredictable!

Originally posted by Spectre

The only place that _might_ [BIG might] have some restrictions is Star Island, but that's only 'cause it's populated by a bunch of freaks, and freaks are unpredictable!

You would know! Ya know I love ya babe!!

It's coming it's coming... give me time... downloading pictures. There was a ton of divers, but if there were any other scubaboarders there, I didn't know it [no one came up and pointed to my Avatar and said "Spectre?"]

Lets see... It turned out there was a ton of divers there...at least a couple dozen. The group with the LDS was about a dozen of us, with 6 doing their AOW navigation dive. There was originally a group of 4 of us, but we lost one before we went in [he ended up buddying up with someone else] so his straggled buddy ended up with us. My buddy then had major bouyancy issues [first dive this year, 30+ lbs and a kid since the last dive, and she just didn't have enough weight]. So it was down to two of us.

It was a nice dive, I had planned on spending the time taking photos and working on my bouyancy skills, but most of the time was trying to figure out what the hell happened to my trim, as it was worse than I've ever had it... I mean, I was a true poster child for Tusa's new line of rototillers. I started to get it under control, but there was something way wrong. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it was either that my tank was riding a little low, or my shoulder straps weren't cinched up enough, or [most likely] the center of gravity on the two pound weight in my BC back pocket was way different than the pony bottle I usually carry. In any event, it was a bit of a hassle. My buddy didn't quite understand my displeasure, but I never really made it clear that "working on my bouyancy control" didn't mean my control was a problem...

In any event, it was a nice dive... the surge was a little bit of a pain when we got over near the channel. At one point I didn't know the surge was as bad as it was until I saw a lobster zoop off to my left... then off to my right, then back off to my left. My stomach tapped me on my throat and pointed out the surge, and asked me to pay more attention or he'd give me something else to think about... :spew:

Nubble's almost infamous thermocline was present. For those that don't know, or haven't noticed, Nubble has a tendancy for a vertical thermocline. Tonight it was 64 on one side, 52 on the other side. It was so defined that I actually turned 90 degrees, and pulled open my hood. My left ear was cold, my right ear was warm! The distraction at this point was realizing I needed to tune my new octo a bit more, as it started leaking as soon as I crossed into the thermocline...

So enough words... onto the pictures!

What's a night dive without a sunset!

SUNSET_1.JPG

And a little later:

SUNSET_2.JPG

A little lobster thinking he's tough

MINI_BUG.JPG

A pair o' Flounder:

DUELING_FLOUNDER.JPG

Sir Sculpin:

SCULPIN.JPG

He wanted to actually pose:

SCULPIN_PROFILE.JPG

I asked if this lobster wanted to share his snack... he didn't:

FIND_YOUR_OWN_BUG.JPG

And last but not least... "You can't see me!" Yea... right:

YOU_CANT_SEE_ME.JPG

Great pics Jeff, looks like you work out the back-scatter issue. I love Nubble.

Originally posted by shellbird
looks like you work out the back-scatter issue

Ehh...it's all in the shot decisions...

1. don't shoot if you can see stuff in the water between you and the subject
  2. Bouyancy Bouyancy Bouyancy [don't stir anything up while lining up the shot]
  3. Buddy awareness... take your shots away from their path/where the silt they stir up with their fins won't come your way
  4. avoid the zoom... the farther away, the more crap between you and the subject.
    [/list=1]

Now the next thing I need to play with is trying to get around, or frame away from and trim, the flash shadow in the right corner [from the lens]. Maybe a little bit of zoom will get around it...

I guess we should give the clear waters of Nubble some credit too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom